Being asked for more money after a PX HPI check - stuart91

I purchased a car last weekend using my current car as trade in with a value of £1k. This was all shaken on, signed contracts and we'd agreed to collect the vehicle on Sunday.

They've rung me today saying I need to pay a further £500 as they've run an HPI check on our car and it is a former insurance right-off (which was news to me as this information wasn't passed on when I bought the car privately), drastically diminishing the value of the trade in.

As we've shaken and signed on a deal, do they now have a legal obligation to continue with that deal at the agreed price, or are they within their rights to ask for more money off me? I completely understand their position, as they won't want to make a loss on the trade in, but shouldn't they have run the HPI check prior to agreeing?

I'm looking through the terms and conditions, but can't see anything obvious to protect their position.

I've checked T&Cs, and popping up as a Cat D on an HPI check is not listed at all under the section related to our PX vehicle.

Being asked for more money after a PX HPI check - SLO76
Kind of their mistake for not running an HPI check before finalising the deal but to be honest it's likely they're just trying to hoover £500 off you. It makes little to no difference anyway on a sub £1k car, (we never even bothered checking cars under £1k) often motors of this value are written off by something as simple as a dented door or cracked bumper and they'll certainly not be intending on flogging it for £500 less as a result.

Stick to your guns and tell them they've agreed to the deal and signed an order form (I'm assuming you have a copy?) and I'm pretty sure they'll see sense. Speak to trading standards if they refuse and let them know you plan to as most small dealers dread a TSO visit.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/02/2017 at 19:11

Being asked for more money after a PX HPI check - Galaxy

Might be worth actually checking yourself that the car you traded in is an insurance write-off. Don't do an HPI check, they are quite expensive, but you can do a text-based vehicle history check for just a couple of pounds. Google for it if interested.

They could just be spinning you a yarn!

Normally, HPI checks are done on anything being taken in as part exchange before it's accepted.

As SLO76 says, on a £1K car it will make very little difference to the dealer, anyway.

Out of curiosity, what did you buy and how much did you pay? May be a good opportunity to wriggle out of a bad deal...
Out of curiosity, what did you buy and how much did you pay? May be a good opportunity to wriggle out of a bad deal...

£9,300 for a 2013 Seat Leon 1.6 TDI with 19k miles and the technology pack thing. Seemed comparable/favourable to other cars with the same spec on AutoTrader.

"£9,300 for a 2013 Seat Leon 1.6 TDI with 19k miles and the technology pack thing. Seemed comparable/favourable to other cars with the same spec on AutoTrader."

Assuming it's a MK III and not a late MK II then the price is spot on. Nice car but make sure it's not been on some daft biannual service plan, modern turbo diesels need fresh oil every year and remember the timing belt is due every 4yrs or 5yrs on this engine. VW currently say 5, Skoda and Seat 4 as far as I can find. Worth asking the local Seat service dept to be sure and to get cost to do. If it's 4yrs I'd expect the garage to do it and don't let them fob you off because of the low mileage it's based on time also.
"£9,300 for a 2013 Seat Leon 1.6 TDI with 19k miles and the technology pack thing. Seemed comparable/favourable to other cars with the same spec on AutoTrader." Assuming it's a MK III and not a late MK II then the price is spot on. Nice car but make sure it's not been on some daft biannual service plan, modern turbo diesels need fresh oil every year and remember the timing belt is due every 4yrs or 5yrs on this engine. VW currently say 5, Skoda and Seat 4 as far as I can find. Worth asking the local Seat service dept to be sure and to get cost to do. If it's 4yrs I'd expect the garage to do it and don't let them fob you off because of the low mileage it's based on time also.

Yeah, it's a MK III.

Thanks for the info. It's been serviced annually.

Being asked for more money after a PX HPI check - pd

I think they could argue that you have materially misdescribed the car.

Let's put it this way, if you turn up to px it without a logbook or MOT it would be the same.

I'd question whether on a car of this value £500 is an appropriate deduction but I can understand why they want something.

If it is a total loss and you genuinly were not aware then any beef you have should be from where you bought it - not where you're trying to sell it IMO.

Being asked for more money after a PX HPI check - RaineMan

In a recent post mention was made of WBAC not paying the figure first mentioned. This together with the experience of both my sister and a friend reminded me that dealers are in it for their benefit not the customer. Both of them were looking to replace old cars over a decade old with something less than three years old. They both found cars they liked, shook on the deals and got the paperwork. When my friend went to pick his new (for him) car up they said they had overvalued his old car and needed £200 more. Because his wife liked the colour and he could not face trying to find an identical car he took it on the chin. My sister had the same experience but is made of far sterner stuff. She told the salesman “That's not a problem providing you drop the asking price by the same amount otherwise it is no deal”. The salesman went to see his manager who complied with my sister’s request. In your case I think considering the value the Cat D is irrelevant. As previously said it may have been something as simple as a dented door where a s/h one has been fitted and sprayed – not something that materially affects the value an old car. My view is ask them to stick to the deal and if they will not accept no more than a £100 - £200 drop!

Being asked for more money after a PX HPI check - RT

Be fair - WBAC's first figure is without seeing the vehicle and makes clear it may be varied at inspection, up or down, but usually down as cars are rarely as good as their owners see through rose-tinted glasses - that inspected figure is valid for 7 days, after which it may go up or down - when I sold my Hyundai Santa Fe it went up the week after as it was autumn when SUV demand rises.

Being asked for more money after a PX HPI check - pd

Whilst a car can easily become Cat D due to something minor once it is old and low value (something like a scratched bumper would do it) we do not know this is the case in this example.

It could have been written off when 18 months old with £10,000 worth of damage and had a shoddy repair to put it back on the road. All depends on when it was declared cat D which could well before even the current owner bought it.