Parking Charge Notice - MStar1101

Hi all,

I received a parking charge notice from Britannia Parking the other day saying claiming I hadn't paid for parking in a private multistorey car park in Milton Keynes.

I appealed the PCN and had a response acknowledging that I had paid for parking, however the ticket machine asks for a full registration, where as I put just the last 3 letters of the reg in (would like to point out at all of the other ticket machines I've used they've only asked for the last 3 characters). They have then said they will reduce the charge to £20.00 to cover administration costs they've incurred in issuing the PCN.

Now, in my eyes, this acts as though the company have admitted I paid and are just attempting to get money out of me - do I actually need to pay this £20.00? should i try and take it further?... Whilst I can see they are part of the British Parking Association (BPA), I can't see there are any regulators for this type of this.

I just think this is a bit harsh for a general mistake... thoughts/advice please?

Thanks!

Parking Charge Notice - skidpan

however the ticket machine asks for a full registration, where as I put just the last 3 letters of the reg in

So you didn't follow the instructions, your fault.

They have then said they will reduce the charge to £20.00 to cover administration costs they've incurred in issuing the PCN

They have reduced the fine so quit while you are ahead and learn from YOUR mistake.

Parking Charge Notice - SLO76
Not sure of the ins and outs of Scots law compared England on this subject but I've had two private parking fines in recent years and my other half has had one that I know of and we've paid not a penny to any of them. It would cost more for them to persue than they'd gain.

If my experience is typical they'll send 3-4 increasingly threatening letters before selling it on to another firm who will letter twice more before giving up.

This isn't of course a get of paying for parking forever card however. I have heard of private parking firms taking cases to court in cases where drivers have run up hundreds of pounds worth of tickerts. My cases were from the two of us overstaying our welcome in Morrisons by a few mins and thus they deserve not a penny piece from me.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/02/2017 at 18:34

Parking Charge Notice - daveyjp
Pepipoo is where you need to be, not this website.
Parking Charge Notice - ExA35Owner
Pepipoo is where you need to be, not this website.

Exactly right. Scottish law is different and POFA does not apply. Go to pepipoo for guidance before you decide on the next step,

Parking Charge Notice - Bromptonaut

I just think this is a bit harsh for a general mistake... thoughts/advice please?

Thanks!

Presumably the system uses ANPR to indetify vehicles arriving and departing. It then matches registrations with issued tickets.

No match = Charge Notice

Car park operator then incurs cost of obtaining keeper details from DVLA, issuing ticket and dealing with mitigation - you breached conditions so committed the infrigement. As above, I'd pay £20 and chalk it to experience.

Baronness Walmsley made a similar error with the London Congestion Charge, a case that went all the way to the court of appeal.

Their Lordships were sympathetic but she lost.

www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2005/1540.html

Edited by Bromptonaut on 10/02/2017 at 09:53

Parking Charge Notice - TedCrilly

Put yourself in their position.

If they were to let you off with no charge whatsoever EVERYONE would do the same thing, then claim it was a mistake and expect to be let off.

Fact is, and by your own admission you didnt follow the instructions. If you wanted to be pedantic you could argue in doing so its a breach of contract because you didn't follow the terms and conditions.

In the circumstances I think they have been fair and lenient. The £20 will cover their costs, its not unreasonable. Pay the money and move on.

Edited by TedCrilly on 10/02/2017 at 11:59

Parking Charge Notice - concrete

Well Mstar, I am certainly no fan of private parking sharks and would see them all put out of business, if possible, for some of the tactics they employ. However on this occasion I think they have actually been fair with you. You did commit the error and althougn you paid for parking, the error cost them money, so pay the £20 and be a much wiser person in future.

It is confusing though, the parking machines in Tenterden have just been changed, not just physically but the operating procedeure is different. The number of people stood at the machine scratching their heads as they fail to obtain a ticket is remarkable. Why can't there just be one type of machine for universal use? Is it so difficult to harmonise this simple task of inserting money. They want the reg number logged and on the ticket to avoid people donating tickets and to use ANPR systems for monitoring, rather than people. Why make life difficult, when with a bit of effort you can make it impossible? Cheers Concrete