VW Scirocco GT 2.0 180 - VAG TSi Engines - Which still have problems - Engineer Andy

As I am now actively looking at replacing my mk1 Mazda3, I've been researching many different makes and vehicles, but one that suddenly jumped up was the VW Scirocco (given I like the Golf GT 3rd in 1.4TSi 150 form [manual]).

Normally it would not be on my list, as I thought the 1.4 122bhp would be a bit slow for what it costs, and the 2ltr 180bhp or 210bhp more performance than I was looking for and more expensive still, however I suddenly came across two 2.0 180s on Motorpoint, one in a not-so-nice 'Post Office red' (the one that apparently fades on most cars painted that colour), the other a dark metallic blue, with only 950 miles on the clock, but a year old (probably sitting on some forecourt as a demo or unwanted purchase that fell though).

I was sorely tempted, but wanted to see what any Scirocco was like to drive (I test drove a 1.4 122 at my local dealership, which was nicer than I thought, though it was on 17in boots rather than 18in one on the 2.0 180), but was hesistating due to previous reports about the infamous 'chains' issues of the VAG cars. What I couldn't seem to find was whether this issue, and other design flaws had been now fixed (apparently VW had several goes at fixing related issues, not just getting their chains supplier to replace their aged manufactureing machinery).

Whilst someone else was braver than I and has bought that car, just in case another came along (it was going for £17k - a real bargain for one that was £26k when new), anywhere, I would like to know whether they come with ongoing issues or not, i.e. are they ok now from X date onwards, etc? Any difference to the 2.0 210 on this front? Really I would go for a 1.4 150 if they offered one (not the twin charger with the problems thanks!), and the 1.4 122 wasn't quite quick enough, though better than my current car.

I was being my usual very cautious self in not taking the plunge on such a large purchase without knowing all the facts. Many thanks for any help given.

VW Scirocco GT 2.0 180 - VAG TSi Engines - Which still have problems - RobJP

Firstly, do remember that the Scirocco is nearly a 9 year old model now, and a new model is supposedly coming out this year. Very noticeable that 'special edition' models are available.

Coast2coast is quoting a brand new 180 2.0TSi Bleumotion Tech GT 'Black Edition' for £21,063, £5k off the list price.

I'd suspect there's a fair bit more room for movement on the price for one that's been sat around for 12 months, not doing any mileage.

VW Scirocco GT 2.0 180 - VAG TSi Engines - Which still have problems - Engineer Andy

Unfortunately there were only two on offer (the other not being a colour I like) and the lower mileage one sadly sold yesterday afternoon before I could get any answers on the questions above (even after looking on the review here, elsewhere, etc). Additionally, Motorpoint don't (as far as I know) haggle, so its either (assuming the engines check out and my local dealer is ok [servicing etc]):

• Hope for another one at Motorpoint (or similar car supermarket) with such a low price that is nearly new and in a colour I like;
  • See if any VW dealers are really desperate to offload a similar one themselves at silly prices before the new model arrives;
  • Trawl through more brokers (CoasttoCoast isn't on HJ's 'Cars For Sale scetion as far as I can see, so maybe there's lots more out there I am not aware of - hope they're reputable) to find an actual new one on the current model;
  • Wait until the new one arrives (see what that's like - nothing on HJ's calendar...yet), and either get a run-out model (hoping they'll be sold off cheap due to the new model being touted as 'brilliant') or actually get the new model (a risk if it uses new engines/parts not 'tried out' on other models/the old one for a while).

Need to know if the 2.0 petrol engines are ok first though...

VW Scirocco GT 2.0 180 - VAG TSi Engines - Which still have problems - bazza

EA, if the list of TSI problems on our own HJ pages isn't putting you off, I'd be tempted to lie down until the thought goes away and you wander instead down to your local Mazda or Honda showroom :-) Seriously, I'm sure a new one will be ok but I'd make sure I had an extended warranty if keeping for the long term. I think the EA211 series is a lot better now they switched back to belt but not sure if the 2.0 is still a chain? They do like to drink a bit of oil I've heard. Friends had a 2010 Scirroco but got rid after 4 years due to lots of niggles and sensor faults creeping in. It was nice for a blast but a difficult everyday car.

VW Scirocco GT 2.0 180 - VAG TSi Engines - Which still have problems - nortones2

Looked at new A3 TFSI ACT with 1.4 148hp EA 211 engine in 2016. I was told this engine has belt drive camshafts.

VW Scirocco GT 2.0 180 - VAG TSi Engines - Which still have problems - skidpan

Looked at new A3 TFSI ACT with 1.4 148hp EA 211 engine in 2016. I was told this engine has belt drive camshafts.

Correct.

A shame the Scirocco doesn't come with that engine - like the A3, Golf and Leon, all very nice looking cars (and on my list, though I'm not too keen on Audi dealers, given the many tales of woe of people's dealing with them I read).

Shame really, as the car I like the most in terms of looks is the Audi A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSi ACT (no discounts on new/nearly new and very few 2nd hand ones about generally), though I prefer (slightly) the interior styling of the Golf 3dr (with piano black trim, not brushed aluminium) - also not many around.

To be honest, I would still prefer a chain cam engined car, like my current Mazda and previous Micra, as both are/were very reliable, and, of course, didn't need the (extra) expense of belt changes every few years. Hopefully VAG have learned their lesson about squeezing suppliers so hard that they keep manufacturing equipment past their sell-by date and bother to properly design and test (not using customers as beta-testers as they appear to have done in times past), nor just to 'give up' on chains and go back to belts (old fashioned) because they're cheaper to produce, especially when they 'pride themselves' on their engineering quality.

Until I get definitive proof that the 2.0 180 engine is reliable and the other problems of the Scirocco have been sorted out, then I'll probably hold off buying that model at least. The 1.4 150 ACT Golf 3dr (and with CC A/C) is like hen's teeth though - hopefully VW will have 'seen the light' on their 2017 updated version and include it as standard (as it is in the rest of the EU) and not be so stingy with us (the rest of the EU cars spec was identical as far as I could tell, at least on the 5dr versions [which I'm not so keen on]).

VW Scirocco GT 2.0 180 - VAG TSi Engines - Which still have problems - nortones2

Quite impressed with the A3 Sportback S Line we tried in that engine configuration. Almost silent on tickover, but pulled well. Drawback was no "nearly new" available though they tried hard to get us to buy a discounted one from stock. Went Toyota instead....