Peugeot 108 - Service not carried out but book stamped - Lrac

I purchased a Peugeot 108 on 10/12/16 with 335 miles on the clock this was entered onto the sales invoice.

I was told the car would be serviced and ready for collection on 13/12/16.. I collected the car as arranged.

Last week I recieved a text saying the car would be due for a service on 8/2/17. I thought this odd so I checked the service book. The service book is stamped with the date 12/12/16 and a mileage of 278miles!

I notice the oil filter is a toyota one which I do not doubt has been fitted from new. I do not imagine it is standard practice for a peugeot main dealer to fit a toyota filter as a service item. The light contamination of the oil is in line with the current mileage.

I also notice the original supplying dealers details and the warranty start date are missing with just a few staple holes.

I am happy with the car and would accept a service from another dealer in the same network + written confirmation that the warranty is valid.

What do you think?

Peugeot 108 - Service not carried out but book stamped - SLO76
When was the car registered?
Peugeot 108 - Service not carried out but book stamped - RT

Given that the Peugeot 108, Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo are all the same car, just different external badges - so both original and replacement oil filters may show the Toyota logo.

I'm baffled why a car at that low a mileage needs a service - it's only due at 12 months old or after 10,000 (1.0) or 16,000 (1.2) miles whichever occurs fiorst.

Registered june 2015. Was previously a mobility car. I have always purchased main dealer peugeot oil filters and they have always been blue and never black with Toyota written across them.

I don't think I jump to conclusions but clearly the car did not reverse its mileage over 2 days and I assume the text message was only generated by the fact there was no record of it being serviced.

I'd suggest you reject it and get a full refund as you're still within the 30 days. Without a service in June 2016, regardless of mileage, any warranty will be invalidated.

This should make for an interesting conversation tomorrow. What happens about the car that I traded in? I don't want it back now although it was a perfectly good car but it was 9 years old. I do not rely on this car so it wouldn't be a problem rejecting it although as yet I have been quite happy with. It is simply the fact that the salesman seems to portray a different version of events to the actual reality.

As I have been mislead would it be feasible to claim for the inconvenience and costs such as insurance admin, mats and it now has a full tank?

Agree with RT. The service interval on the 108 is 10,000 miles or 12mths whichever comes first so the car despite its tiny mileage should've been serviced in June so it's likely your manufacturer warranty is now invalid. You either need proof the car was serviced then (might just not have been stamped) or a written agreement that Peugeot will honour your warranty, not just the dealer.

Plus I'd be suspicious of a car that's only covered a few hundred miles in over a year. Was it an approved used car bought from a main dealer? Are you sure it hasn't been accident damaged and sat in a body shop yard for a year awaiting a settlement or (very common with new models) waiting on parts?

Purchased from the forecourt of a Peugeot main dealer and told that it would be supplied with a service carried out and full Peugeot warranty until 2018. I simply did not think a main dealer would bother selling such a car if there was anything dodgy about it. Panels look fine and it drives fine.

I am very grateful for your replies prior to confronting the dealer.

I shall now be asking for a written confirmation from Peugeot regarding history and warranty including possible accident repair.

If this is satisfactory I shall request a full service with any repairs paid for at my local branch of their network.

Anything else?

Many thanks

Not really. The 108 is a great wee car. If it turns out it has been serviced and the book just hasn't been stamped then all is well but it can't harm asking for a free service even in this case.

If it hasn't been done then I'd reject the car if you don't get that guarantee from Peugeot, even a decent used car warranty bought in by the dealer won't compare to the manufacturer warranty.

I'd certainly be casting a careful look over the car for signs of major paintwork with that suspiciously low mileage. Don't let the fact that it's come from a main dealer reasure you. I was asked by a friend to check over a Ford Ka at our local main dealer a few years back and the wee car had seen paint on every panel!

Busy at work today so emailed sales manager my concerns. He was off today so was contacted by the next incharge. Had a pleasant chat and he will forward my concerns tomorrow.

However he assures me the car was serviced on 12 12 2016 and the oil filter was the correct one. I do not know if this was a deliberate spin but I pointed I was not aware that a peugeot main dealer would fit a Denso Toyota oil filter duing a routine service. This was greeted with oh not sure etc etc I have since spoken to a technician who used to work in this actual workshop and he only ever fitted Peugeot Citroen branded oil filters. Imagine a Toyota dealer fitting Citroen branded parts! I have since emailed to say I will take this matter up with Peugeot. Can't think they supply Toyota branded oil filters.

Incorrect mileage = clerical error

Text notification for a service in Feb = Clerical error

Why did I want written evidence dealer has no knowledge of bodywork / mechanical defects.? Because you asked this of me on my trade in and I no longer trust what I have been told.

"Oh no problem we will cover the warranty ourselves" not what I was told or asked. I want written confirmation from Peugeot. "Oh I shall pass this on"

Not near a phone tomorrow but looking forward to an email sometime tomorrow.

Looks like I will be doing them a favour if I reject the car since it will get me off their backs. Could well be booking a taxi ride on Sat.

I do actually like the car and am happy with it so far just not impressed that I have been fed a spu of bull.

Oh forgot to mention original service book is missing and no details have been added to the new book other than the disputed service that contradicts the purchase agreement.

Not looking good is it

Peugeot 108 - Service not carried out but book stamped - Avant

Given that the 108, C1 and Aygo come off the same production line and are mechanically the same, why is it of such concern that the oil filter is branded Toyota?

Given that the 108, C1 and Aygo come off the same production line and are mechanically the same, why is it of such concern that the oil filter is branded Toyota?

because the Denso Toyota oil filter was fitted by the manufacturer, if the car had been serviced at a Peugeot main dealer the oil filter would have the Peugeot Citroen Livery.

Peugeot 108 - Service not carried out but book stamped - bathtub tom

because the Denso Toyota oil filter was fitted by the manufacturer, if the car had been serviced at a Peugeot main dealer the oil filter would have the Peugeot Citroen Livery.

So Rolls Royce suspension spheres aren't marked with Citroen logo?

You have hit the nail on the head. Unlike my 107 the oil filters that come from the main dealers on a 108 packed in a Peugeot Citroen box are simply Toyota filters marked as such. Shame Peugeot UK didn't tell me this when I mentioned it to them.

I have all written assurances from the dealers with written confirmation from Peugeot that the full manufacturers warranty is valid.

The "back to the future" service book is to be returned to have all the correct information added and the next service will be provided free of charge.

This could have so easily been sorted out after my first email but I got there in the end and I do not have the hassle of looking for another car.

Thanks for the advice given as I now have all necessary safeguards in place after the 30 day rejection date.

"I have all written assurances from the dealers with written confirmation from Peugeot that the full manufacturers warranty is valid.

The "back to the future" service book is to be returned to have all the correct information added and the next service will be provided free of charge."

Good work and good on the dealer for fixing things properly. These are great wee cars and you've now got the assurance that the warranty will be honoured and a free service too.
Peugeot 108 - Service not carried out but book stamped - FoxyJukebox

I personally would be ultra suspicious in every way of an eighteen month old car having done only 335 miles . However, it's a risk you look like willing to take and provided your dealer gives it a really good going over with supporting evidence to prove what has been done--then you should be fine.

15 years ago I bought a Mobility car ( Peugeot 106!)which had spent it's first 12 months in the Glasgow area. It had only 5000 on the clock , but that didn't stop the catalyctic converter going after a month ( covered by guarantee) and the complete exhaust system shortly afterwards(not covered by guarantee) --but that's showbusiness!

The firm I sold for took on a Proton franchise in the late 90's to complement the Mitsubishi one they already held. The idea was that we'd have something to put to customers who'd been priced out of Mitsubishi's as they rose in cost and being as the cars were really just older gen Mitsubishi's they're were very robust.

However what happened was we found that we were inundated with used ex motability and trade in stock we couldn't sell and as it piled up we had less and less room for the run of the mill mainstream used stock we relied on.

Sales staff always talk about ex motability cars as if it's a plus point but you'd think otherwise if you'd seen them before prep. While there were spotless cars that came in from elderly owners who took care of them the bulk were manky and abused.

Regarded as a freebie by a lot of people who didn't deserve them (or need them in the bulk of cases) they were hammered mercilessly by registered keepers and their feckless offspring. The one plus point was the cars had to be serviced according to the manufacturer schedule.

Peugeot 108 - Service not carried out but book stamped - galileo
Sales staff always talk about ex motability cars as if it's a plus point but you'd think otherwise if you'd seen them before prep. While there were spotless cars that came in from elderly owners who took care of them the bulk were manky and abused. Regarded as a freebie by a lot of people who didn't deserve them (or need them in the bulk of cases) they were hammered mercilessly by registered keepers and their feckless offspring.

I often walk past a local PDSA and most days there are one or two MPVs/4x4s parked outside on the double yellow lines (3 yards from a junction) displaying a blue badge.

The users are either self-disabled through morbid obesity or clearly healthy family members using the genuine holders badge.

I should add I never abused the system when my 80+, heart diseased mother had one and understand genuine users need this facility, but the widespread abuse really does irritate me.

"I should add I never abused the system when my 80+, heart diseased mother had one and understand genuine users need this facility, but the widespread abuse really does irritate me."

Agree totally. I was only too happy to help people with genuine disabilities or health problems into a new motability motor even though we didn't get paid directly for doing so, it only counted towards your bonus figures. Sadly they were in the minority.

I hated handing the keys over to those who were either blatantly faking it or had abused themselves into poor health usually after living on welfare their whole lives. It makes a mockery of those who suggest there's real poverty in Britain that so many can be morbidly obese or ill with chronic smoking or alcohol related diseases after a lifetime of not working.

A bit of tough love would have helped these people a damn sight more than a free motor had it been applied with a swift boot up the tailpipe early on.

For balance, can I point out that some genuine blue-badge holders may not look disabled as they get out of their motors, cheap or expensive, and walk the short distance to where they're going.

Peugeot 108 - Service not carried out but book stamped - skidpan

My mother has severe movement issues having had a total of 3 hip replacements. When she first applied for a Blue Badge she was refused since they said she was not severe enough disabled despite at the time having to walk with 2 sticks with help from dad.

She appealed the decision (with my help) pointing out the simple fact she could only walk short distances and relied on my dad and the car to go anywhere away from home and needed to park conveniently close to the shops etc.

Successful.

But it still annoys the hell out of me when people with blue badges park in a disabled spot and then run into Tesco's on Saturday tea time to pay their idiot tax (lottery in other words). I complained to the store manager once that it was clear that the badge holder was not the person using it but he was not in the least bit interested. Suppose they are only interested in sales.