Any - Insurance premiums - dan86

Got my insurance renewal the other day and I couldn't believe it it went up by £1100. I was paying £500 last year. When I queried it with them they said that insurance premium tax had risen but there had also been a lot of claims in the last 6 months.

I've been to different brokers and comparison website where I've been able to find cheaper quotes but nothing cheaper or even close to the price I was paying last year.

I've got full no claims discount no fault accidents and I don't drive a car you could remotely call sporty.

Has anyone else hado a sharp rise on there premiums this year?

Any - Insurance premiums - malcolmgg

From your name I doudt you are as old as I am. I have just reached 65 and my insurance via John Lewis has gone form £291 with business use and two named drivers, my wife and 40 yr old son to £579 with no business use. Apparently down to me having retired. I was rather shocked. I have now insured through our local broker who I used years ago for £419.

Any - Insurance premiums - Andrew-T

Just to revive this thread for a bit .... the renewal for my Pug 205 came in a couple of weeks ago. I'm lucky to live in a cheap area, and I claim an annual mileage of <3K with full NCD, but it jumped from £168 to £198, which I felt was excessive. I went on 2 or 3 comparison sites and could only find one or two better, including £10 less with the same insurer.

So just for interest I looked at D** L** (who claim not to be included in comparison sites) - they would give me the same cover for £2 less than I paid last year.

So how much are the comparison-site quotes inflated by, or is it just a loss-leader to attract a new customer?

Any - Insurance premiums - gordonbennet
So how much are the comparison-site quotes inflated by, or is it just a loss-leader to attract a new customer?

Whatever it is, there's another year at a decent price for you, well trousered sir, same rigmarole next year i have no doubt will find you another bargain.

I always forget to contact DL, my premiums so far have been so reasonable with a quick search if it looks to have gone up appreciably and twnty mins phone call to match the online quotes and all good for another 12 months, i will try to remember to give them a shout next year.

Any - Insurance premiums - colinh

"66-year-olds, whose average premium stands at £434, have seen the largest yearly rise and can now expect to pay 28% more for cover than 12 months ago.

By comparison, 17-year-old, have experienced the smallest year-on-year price increases of any age group at just 9% - their average premium now stands at £2,083."

Any - Insurance premiums - Falkirk Bairn

70, + SWMBO - Full NCB £180 Esure - been with them 15 years

Every year they increase the premium. I trawl the internet & ask them to match a quote by Aviva, Privilege etc etc (a known name)

62 Reg Honda CRV 2.0 EX Auto, less than 10K miles & £100 voluntary excess

They seem efficient at taking payments but as I have never claimed I do not know how good / bad their claim service is.

Any - Insurance premiums - SLO76
That's a horrific rise. I've a 64 plate Honda CRV insured with Direct Line for £340 including breakdown cover & protected no claims and a Polo for £185, Both with younger other half as named driver. Bought an old V6 Ford Cougar as a toy earlier in the year and got it covered for £210 with no NCB I could use on it via Esure. The only perk of approaching 40... cheap insurance. All you can do is shop around.

There is always a niche you can fit in, being a lorry driver i use Cornmarket (will also cover PSV and IAM) who always meet or beat the lowest quote out there, and are great to deal with...i've contacted them today as it happens as i may be buying another vehicle tomorrow, as usual couldn't be more helpful...my 2 car's quotes from them this year were lower than i could find anywhere.

SWMBO uses SAGA who have proved very helpful, only minor rises.

I think you have to be careful not to claim for anything so making yourself a good bet, touching wood here, i don't even claim for glass because if you use local companies who don't spend a small country's gross national product on advertising you might be amazed just how cheap screens are.

If you live in the country you might find NFU around the same price as others and you really will not find a better insurer anywhere, it might be worth checking owners forums for your own marque too...look around.

Any - Insurance premiums - catsdad

My renewal is just in from LV at £230, compared to about £210 last year. We are in a low risk area with a 1.8 Civic. Full no claims.

I ran a quick online check and couldn't significantly beat it so I will renew.

Any - Insurance premiums - RT

There is always a niche you can fit in, being a lorry driver i use Cornmarket (will also cover PSV and IAM) who always meet or beat the lowest quote out there, and are great to deal with...i've contacted them today as it happens as i may be buying another vehicle tomorrow, as usual couldn't be more helpful...my 2 car's quotes from them this year were lower than i could find anywhere.

SWMBO uses SAGA who have proved very helpful, only minor rises.

I think you have to be careful not to claim for anything so making yourself a good bet, touching wood here, i don't even claim for glass because if you use local companies who don't spend a small country's gross national product on advertising you might be amazed just how cheap screens are.

If you live in the country you might find NFU around the same price as others and you really will not find a better insurer anywhere, it might be worth checking owners forums for your own marque too...look around.

Cornmarket have a habit of offering a huge rise in premium every few years but after being challenged and shown price comparison figures will climb down.

My IAM/Cornmarket renewal invitation was £650 with Ageas this year - but after a little internet research and a very blunt phone conversation, Cornmarket climbed down and arranged cover at £360 ... with Ageas!

Any - Insurance premiums - RobJP

Like GB, I'm with Cornmarket, and have been for a few years. A pleasure to deal with.

RT : I do note what their price changes are like at renewal times, and haven't seen any big (or attempted big) rises as yet. I will make sure to watch at renewal time though.

For the record, my premium with them this year was £236 for the 2013 325d tourer. Myself and SWMBO (46/45), full NCD and clean licences, 15k pa, business cover included. North Wales, which brings the premiums down, I'm sure

Any - Insurance premiums - FoxyJukebox

Each year 30 days before "renewal time" -devote a whole half day to trawling ALL the comparison sites.

Do a forensic search for all comprehensive and third party fire and theft(why not?) options--just to get a target FEEL of the market-your market.

Again--just to get a feel--see what not only is the most expensive insurances ( and why?) as well as the obvious cheapest.

Pay special attention to what your current provider is offering first time customers. Compare that figure with what your £renewal doc says when it slips through the letterbox( usually only a week before start date in the hope that you can't be bothered to challenge it!)

Consider upping your excess-maybe you can risk going higher?

Insure only those who regularly drive your car.

Make sure you tick your car is garaged if that is an option?

Tick your annual mileage honestly.

After that little review--then see what other providers NOT on comparison sites such as Direct Line are offering.

It's a dog eat dog world out there!

Any - Insurance premiums - madf

Agree with Doubleug above.

A foresnic detailed assessment of what the market has to offer - unrushed - is time worth spent.

Average age70, we pay under £450 in total for Jazz and Jazz fully comp, protected NCB.. with SAGA.

We had two claims in past 5 years - SAGA have been excellent. Recommended.

(House insurance is a different matter)

Any - Insurance premiums - Vitesse6

Last year I went with the Co op, price quoted was £150 for £350 excess. I wondered what it would be with £0 excess. Price was still £150 so don't just think about increasing the excess on the comparison sites, reduce it as well!

I'm with cornmarket currently and they are the obesity who quoted me £1600

Well it was only yesterday when i got the new quote for the car i didn't buy, so it must be your own circs.

Have you changed jobs or moved, has there been an increase in car crime or have the usual crash scam slime been busy in your area, or have you had an expensive windscreen claim(s), or a multitude of other things.

No claims of any kind made same job same address same circumstances no idea about accident's or thefts in the area but it's not knowneed as an area for high car crime it's rather a nice suburb where I live. I'll just have to keep searching and contacting brokers until I find something more reasonable

No claims of any kind made same job same address same circumstances no idea about accident's or thefts in the area but it's not knowneed as an area for high car crime it's rather a nice suburb where I live. I'll just have to keep searching and contacting brokers until I find something more reasonable

The normal routine with Cornmarket if you think the renewal quotes are a bit rich is to do a comparison site search, then ring Cornmarket giving them the address and password so they can confirm the quotes, the lowest of which they then usually match and throw a little sweetener in for your trouble.

I rang them but they said they are trying to find another underwriter as Aviva wouldn't alow them the free reign they had had before.

Any - Insurance premiums - concrete

Hello dan. I am with Tesco for the third year. I am paying less than last year, and that was the renewal, which I queried, but it was correct. Only £225 per annum. Me at 68 and retired, swmbo and my daughter as named drivers. £200 excess. Legal cover. Towing cover. pretty box standard really. Give them a try online only. Good luck.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Insurance premiums - galileo

Last year's premium with IAM was £268.

This year they offered me renewal at £743.

Same car, same driver, same address, no claims, no incidents.

Comparison site showed 60 different quotes less than this figure, I declined their renewal and went back to LV= (which IAM had been signifacantly lower than last year.

As they could see the comparison site quotes as easily as I could, why make the exorbitant offer?

Any - Insurance premiums - RT

Part of the issue with Cornmarket/IAM is that they include very low standard excesses as well as cover for IAM observers in their own cars - I did notice that this year I couldn't get even close to the Cornmarket/IAM excess of £100 at any premium price elsewhere.

Any - Insurance premiums - glidermania

Our direct line renewal for 2 cars came through a week ago. Wife's 18 month old twingo had gone down by £20 and my 6 year old Z4 had gone up by 70! Im just turned 60, wife is just turned 58.

Anyway, I sold the Z4 so phoned them to renew the twingo and suspend my policy. I expected a rise in wife's premium as 2 car policy discount was applied in the original quote.

After a lot of faffing about, DL said wife's premium had to go up to £270. I said that's too much as Ive a similar quote from Privilege at £251 via Compare the Meercat!

After more faffing the guy said he could do wife's policy for £244 with a loyalty applied. What a con, they expected us to just renew and take the increase. So, even though we only have 1 car on policy now, her premium is still £4 less than the oriiginal 2 car policy quote.

Premiums supposedly have gone up due to some multiplier applied for injury costs and IPT. The whole thing's a massive con.

Any - Insurance premiums - Andrew-T

What a con, they expected us to just renew and take the increase.

That has been standard practice for a long time AFAIK. Occasionally it gets newspaper space when elderly folk (like me) notice what is happening and grumble.

What is a con - or rather a scam - is the semi-automatic inertia selling, where a policy auto-renews unless one takes steps to prevent it. This must work for busy people who just forget the renewal is in the pending tray until it's too late.