ford focus tdci - where do i stand? - gazza2016
what are peoples thoughts on where i stand? i left my 2010 ford focus diesel in to get serviced. when i went to collect it the guy was going in about the turbo not working. i said i had no problems with this before and he said to go see what it was like. i picked the car up half an hour before he closed for weekend. the car had no turbo whatsoever and within 15 miles the engine management light came on so i drove it home easy and there was a terrible burning oil smell. i phoned him and took it down the next morning and now he wants to "try" things to fix starting with and egr fix costing about £200 for part alone. my ? is who do you think should pay for this? i never had any issues before the car went in for service. thanks
ford focus tdci - where do i stand? - SLO76
I'm assuming it's the 1.6 diesel? If so this engine is notorious for turbo failure via oil starvation. Ultimately and all too often the blades disintegrate and are ingested by the engine thus destroying the whole thing. Don't drive it if there's any sign of turbo failure.

It could also be due to a blocked DPF - diesel particulate filter. What mileage is on it? Is it used for regular long runs to allow it to regenerate?

Don't allow the garage to randomly fit parts to it. It needs to be diagnosed properly by someone with the equipment to read any fault codes that are causing the EML to illuminate.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/10/2016 at 22:00

ford focus tdci - where do i stand? - gazza2016
yeah 1.6 and 100,000 miles on it. it does long runs during the week so gets cleared out ok. my main question was mainly that it went in for a service and was running fine and came out of service and had these faults that it didn't have before so should i be paying?
Faults like these can develop without warning. While it's possible your garage is at it, it's also very probable that the fault is genuine. This is one of the weakest engines on the market, it's common to hear of turbo failure and even catastrophic engine failure at 50,000 miles never mind twice that. I'd take the car to someone who can diagnose it properly but as for being able to prove your garage has sabotaged/caused it it's going to be next to impossible to prove. Take a while to google Ford 1.6 TDCi engine faults or engine failure plus PSA 1.6 HDI engine faults and you'll see loads of people with painful experiences including several taxi drivers i'm friendly with and a co worker with a Peugeot Partner van with less than 60,000 miles and a perfect service record. I wouldn't spend much money on it.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/10/2016 at 22:53

ford focus tdci - where do i stand? - gordonbennet

On this very forum a search will find hundreds of posts on one thread alone about turbo failure on this engine, the thread is about Fords.

This is one engine among a few that needs the makers service recommendations ignoring from day one, if not babied with oil service intervals reminiscent of 40 years go it could give trouble and still might anyway.

If a lack of regular servicing or being allowed to run low on oil doesn't kill it, blow by past the injector seals will, course the modern trend to not caring for your turbo by allowing it to warm and cool down won't help either.

Its entirely possible that the engine is full of loose carbon and crud following previous neglect, and changing the oil has dislodged clumps of the stuff which have very soon blocked up the oilways.

As the poster above, think carefully before spending too much here.

www.assuredperformance.ie/ very useful people to know i should think, wish they were in England too.

If you click on the link, it is safe, and then click on the ''important information'' link at the bottom left of the page, you can view in all its glory with plenty of pics what happens to these engines when neglected, scrolling to the very end will explain what needs to be done to the engine should a new turbo be required, grim reading.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/10/2016 at 09:51

On this very forum a search will find hundreds of posts on one thread alone about turbo failure on this engine, the thread is about Fords.

This is one engine among a few that needs the makers service recommendations ignoring from day one, if not babied with oil service intervals reminiscent of 40 years go it could give trouble and still might anyway.

If a lack of regular servicing or being allowed to run low on oil doesn't kill it, blow by past the injector seals will, course the modern trend to not caring for your turbo by allowing it to warm and cool down won't help either.

Its entirely possible that the engine is full of loose carbon and crud following previous neglect, and changing the oil has dislodged clumps of the stuff which have very soon blocked up the oilways.

As the poster above, think carefully before spending too much here.

www.assuredperformance.ie/ very useful people to know i should think, wish they were in England too.

If you click on the link, it is safe, and then click on the ''important information'' link at the bottom left of the page, you can view in all its glory with plenty of pics what happens to these engines when neglected, scrolling to the very end will explain what needs to be done to the engine should a new turbo be required, grim reading.

Excellent advice.
ford focus tdci - where do i stand? - John F

Hm. Interesting video.

'.....running the turbo without oil for 5secs causes as much damage as running the engine without oil for 5mins...'

It is entirely possible that a careless mechanic moved the car out of the way off the ramp/lift before refilling with oil thinking that a 5sec 'nudge' from the engine would be harmless. Such a scenario would not surprise me in the least.

ford focus tdci - where do i stand? - gordonbennet

JohnF, that video you mention is from the bottom right half of the link page i think (turbo failures?), interesting though it is, have you clicked on the bottom left, the PDF file, the Inner Hell of the Diesel of Doom it could have been titled.

The pics remind me of the black death from years ago, which seems to be making a reappearance.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/10/2016 at 15:36