How low can you go? - SLO76
With the current low value of scrap comes the possibility of obtaining a running and Mot'd car for next to nothing. But how low can you go regarding cheap cars?

I've a wee hobby that involves buying a cheap car, running it for 6mths to a year and seeing just how cheaply it can be done. Admittedly it's a 3rd car so we're not overly reliant on it but I do use them to commute to work, trips to the dump and for vitally important trips down the pub where I'd rather abandon a heap than one of our more valuable motors for the night. I maintain them and regularly check them to ensure safety but accept minor faults as part of the fun and accept that any major faults will lead to the scrappy.

I've managed in recent years to run a 52 plate Astra 1.6SXi bought for £1,000, spent £300 on repairs and a service then sold for £1,100 a year later. Loss £200 for the year.

Mitsubishi Carisma 1.9 DID bought for £700, spent around £400 over the year and sold for £1,000. Loss £100.

Peugeot 306 bought for £500, £350 on new clutch and a service and sold for £750 after 10mths. Loss £100.

Currently I've an X plated Ford Cougar, bought for £300 and in great order but a bit greedy that passed an Mot needing just a set of pads and today I'm picking up an 05 Mazda 3 I got for nothing with 11mths mot.

Motoring can be done on a tiny budget assuming you've a little mechanical know how and not a care about style. Once a car becomes unfashionable they're next to worthless. Anyone else keen on this ultra cheap motoring on a shoestring?
How low can you go? - Smileyman

Shh - it will put a lot of people in shiny showrooms and busy factories out of work!.

How low can you go? - RT

Few people can be bothered these days - they just borrow the money on a PCP and get a new car.

We do too... Got a CRV on a contract lease through my business to keep the other half happy but banger motoring is much more fun. Every trip is a wee adventure. Will you make it or will you end up in a cloud of smoke at the side of the road?
How low can you go? - Ian_SW

What is surprising is that with fuel injection etc is that a £500 car will run almost as well as a new one!

I'm of the view that three £1000 cars is a much better deal and lower risk than a £3000 car. Either may go bang and become a lump of scrap metal at any time, but with the £1000 car that can happen three times before it has cost £3000

A mate of mine only ever spends £500 on a car, and after buying it only does routine service items on it. On average I'd reckon he gets about three years out of each one before scrapping it. He also drives about 20k miles per year so gets seriously good value for money.

How low can you go? - slippy118

Mine's a Rover 25 year 2000 and when you go to the supermarket no one parks next to you, but if you go in your nice car and try to park away from the other door dingers then when you come back someone is parked next to you.

The annoying thing I find is that DVLA want to charge be £145 for my older car in addition to what I pay for my other car and my insurance company want more money off me as well, they seem to think that I can drive both at the same time, they should be giving me a discount for driving the older motor some times.

My older car is more reliable than the newer ones and I can get any parts from on line scrap dealers.

How long can you go?......until the rust gets hold

Well just picked up my free Mazda 3 and aside from rattling front brake pads it drives spot on. Bit crusty round the edges but whole enough and can't argue with the price.
How low can you go? - ExNHS

In 1997 I bought a 1925 Bullnose Morris.

OK-It cost me £7500, but when I sold it 9 years later, after counting everything I spent on it-tyres, petrol, maintenance, it cost me £6 per week.

We had great fun with it, and had a great new social life with a local group of the Bullnose Club.

After having the magneto refurbished I became cofident that it would always get us there.

How low can you go? - Boroman
I ran sub £1000 cars for about 15 years and rarely was caught out with a lemon. My cheapest was a proper Saab 900 bought from a dealer for £75, it needed a steering rack (cost approx £300 from an indy) and lasted 18 months till the head gasket went. It had full service history from it's one owner but only did about 21 mpg around town. The best was a Skoda Favorit for £400, it ran faultlessly for 3 years till corrosion got the better of it. Others fondly remembered include a Fiat Panda 750 for £275 which saw me though two years, three rear engined Skoda's (two Estelles and one Rapid) and a Volvo 360 GL.
I ran sub £1000 cars for about 15 years and rarely was caught out with a lemon. My cheapest was a proper Saab 900 bought from a dealer for £75, it needed a steering rack (cost approx £300 from an indy) and lasted 18 months till the head gasket went. It had full service history from it's one owner but only did about 21 mpg around town. The best was a Skoda Favorit for £400, it ran faultlessly for 3 years till corrosion got the better of it. Others fondly remembered include a Fiat Panda 750 for £275 which saw me though two years, three rear engined Skoda's (two Estelles and one Rapid) and a Volvo 360 GL.

Always been fond of simple basic motoring. 750 Panda with the sweet wee fire engine was fun and the later Favorits after VW took over were decent wee workhorses for peanuts.
How low can you go? - Boroman

Always been fond of simple basic motoring. 750 Panda with the sweet wee fire engine was fun and the later Favorits after VW took over were decent wee workhorses for peanuts.

Yest, the750 was a very free revving wee thing indeed; more so than the 999cc version, it's a pity they never imported the 5 speed version. The Favorit was in many ways a better car for longevity than the the Felicia which followed it. VW "improvements" like the plastic thermostat housing for example.
How low can you go? - Engineer Andy

Good luck with the Mazda3 - I own one of a similar age (a 55 reg from Jan 06, owned from new), admitedly still only at ~60k miles, but its generally going fine for an 11yo car (the steering's a bit heavier than a few years ago, but its still perfectly driveable). Unless something really major goes wrong and I can't find a suitable replacement that'll last a similar amount of time, I'll keep mine and run it into the ground.

The petrol-engined versions are very reliable - I can (and have) still thrash it all the way to the red line no trouble (an occasional Italian tune-up) and its just done another 1000+ miles of motorway, A roads and windy country lanes driving when I went on holiday to Cornwall recently. Didn't miss a beat. Barely depreciating now, probably worth more now than a year ago as its had a new clutch recently. Little amount of fancy electronic (and most untested) gizmos to go wrong outside electric windows, A/C and the ICE (all fine).

OP - don't forget that some older cars are more expensive to insure than newer (equivalent spec) ones, as they have less safety features. This may make a reasonable difference (maybe £100) to the figures, but still...good cheap motoring is nice to hear!

How low can you go? - martint123

Got a 10 year old cat D mx5 for £3000, ran it for 10 years and px-ed it for £3000. Clutch and a couple of calipers in that time.

Got a 10 year old cat D mx5 for £3000, ran it for 10 years and px-ed it for £3000. Clutch and a couple of calipers in that time.

Great little cars. We ran a Mk II, bought for £1475 including hardtop at 59,000 miles and sold on two summers later for £1,600. Did spend around £400 on it over the two years. Calliper, window regulator and a service but wee car was great fun. Sold it with intent on buying a Mk III but the steering committee got pregnant and torpedoed the idea.