7 seater opinions - Brak82
Hello all

Ive been driving for almost 2 years now, and i have 4 children , at the moment i have a 2001 zafira auto, cost me 600 last mot and its not going to get any better and my kids are getting bigger by the day.

So any recommendations on a reliable 7 seater, or should i say opinions from experienced folk.

im looking to spend about 10- 11 k, so Make dependant 2009 to 2013 and auto only (im 6'7" and rugby player size, when i tried to learn in manual people kept bringing silly city cars ! Eerrr no chance so i learnt in a merc c class auto..)

Galaxy and smax are ideal and i like but galaxy are expensive unless high mileage ofc, i also like vw touran although the quite drab looking (not important i know) . And zafira tourer seem nice but the middle 3/4 seat !
And all work mates say dont go french although i do like peugeot 5008 lol

Thanks
7 seater opinions - gordonbennet

I reckon you have a fair bet when the vehicle is based on the same shape van, commercials are usually made tough to withstand white van mans antics so in theory should last forever in domestic use.

Might be a tad big but Hyundai i800 would be as good as any, possibly still carrying some makers warranty too at the top end of your budget assuming its been serviced correctly.

If too big maybe a Toyota Verso.

7 seater opinions - 520i
I regularly drive a 2001 Espace 2.2dci, and it's one of the nicest cars I've driven. As far as 'people carriers' go, the Espace has always had more style and flare than the rest by quite a margin, they're also nicely appointed inside. Don't rule one out until you've had a look!
7 seater opinions - brum

You must be joking....

7 seater opinions - 520i
Noope!

Straight up; it's cumfy, smooth, pulls like a train and the electrics are no worse than any other 15 year old motor with 84k on the board. They get a truly terrible reputation, these Frenchies, but how many of those tintop convertible Meganes and Pug equivalents do you see knocking about? If the electrics were as abysmal as many like to claim they are, they'd all be rusting in peace by now surely!?

There's barely a make or model of used car available that people won't queue up to tell horror stories about. I also like VAG and BMW kit, but apparently that's all rubbish as well! I dislike average bread & butter stuff from the likes of Ford & Vauxhall being dressed up as premium cars, but it seems nowadays nothing can touch the Blue Oval unless it says Bentley on the back. Personally, I'd rather spend my wedge on something that isn't designed purely for the fleet/hire/minicab sector and then pushed by the motoring press (deeply impartial, of course!) as the best cars on the market - but of course that is just my opinion. It wasn't anything French which famously came last in that JD Power survey or whatever it was, though; it was the VW Sharan. Which, of course, is the same as the Ford Galaxy of the era, and the Seat equivalent too. One assumes that the Espace did better.

Just my own observations and experience!
7 seater opinions - daveyK_UK

Look for a Citroen Berlingo multispace with 7 seats from 2008 onwards, reliable enough but 1.6 diesel engine needs to be looked after.

Also consider one of the 7 seater cars sold by sassanyong (typo?)

7 seater opinions - RT

You need to be clear in your own mind where you need a 7-seater or a 5+2 - many nominally 7-seaters only have small 3rd rows which are fine for smaller children but not gangly teens or adults.

You also need to be clear in your own mind how much luggage space you need with all 3 rows in use - some have virtually none.

7 seater opinions - Avant

As you're 6'7" and have 4 growing children, anything Zafira / Touran / Berlingo / Verso size is likely to be too small. I think I'd go along with the Hyundai i800 suggestion above: it'll be van-like to drive but it should be reliable. Jeremy Clarkson has recently given it no stars, so it can't be all bad. (And he didn't even drive it.)

An Espace would be better to drive, but probably more of a risk. We had one of the early ones, new in 1988, which did 120,000 miles without trouble. Renault had a quality control problem fromn about 2000 to 2005, but as 520i above says, there are some good ones. It's not true that all French cars are rubbish - but I think they're more vulnerable than some to neglect or abuse by previous owners. Look for one with a full service history and the impression of having been looked after.

7 seater opinions - Happy Blue!

It depends on your need for luggage space and whether you enjoy driving.

For space look at the Galaxy or Kia Sedona. If something slightly smaller will do, it's the Smax all the way.

7 seater opinions - gordonbennet

Jeremy Clarkson has recently given it no stars, so it can't be all bad. (And he didn't even drive it.)

That alone confirms it as a good choice.

7 seater opinions - Know your car

I looked for months for a car that I could sleep in occasionally and that had a huge cargo area when required, Galaxy, Seat, Sharan, Zafia, VW thing, and found them all wanting, Galaxy has a lot of problems apart from sticking out of a super market car park, leaky bulkhead, water in the wiring loom. Eventually I discovered the seven seater Toyota Verso, never even heard of one before, only one where all seats fold flat unlike any of the others mentioned, does not look big from the outside but a tardis inside, 45 mpg, bullet proof engine. Have a look at one it might be just the job and unlike most others very reliable.

7 seater opinions - japdriver

I had a similar problem to yourself!

Four children, two adults, and we need some luggage space. I almost gave up searching for the impossible....until a friend suggested the Chrysler Voyager.

I purchased a Grand Voyager with stow and go seats. Brilliant. The seats fold into the floor in seconds, loads of room, still has a decent boot with all seats in place, and it was a diesel auto :)

Mine was a 2005 model, and never had a problem. I am not sure if the newer model has the same stow and go seat option, but if they do, try one. It transforms an ok car into a brilliant one!

Mark

Edited by japdriver on 06/05/2016 at 19:05

7 seater opinions - Metropolis.

I 2nd that!

7 seater opinions - dan86

I had a similar problem to yourself!

Four children, two adults, and we need some luggage space. I almost gave up searching for the impossible....until a friend suggested the Chrysler Voyager.

I purchased a Grand Voyager with stow and go seats. Brilliant. The seats fold into the floor in seconds, loads of room, still has a decent boot with all seats in place, and it was a diesel auto :)

Mine was a 2005 model, and never had a problem. I am not sure if the newer model has the same stow and go seat option, but if they do, try one. It transforms an ok car into a brilliant one!

Mark

We have the same model and apart from the the fact it only does 24mpg round town (2.8 diesel automatic ) nothing can match it for space and practicality. With all the seats down I fitted in a wardrobe a chest of drawers and a desk with room to spare.

You can drive all day and not feel uncomfortable as it's like sitting in an armchair. can seven adults and there luggage.

7 seater opinions - Chrishunt

One slightly off the wall suggestion is the Honda FRV. Good to drive, space for 6 plus reasonable luggage room; however given your height and build you may struggle to fit. Another consideration is that with your genes your children are unlikely to be teeny tots so give some consideration to growth. One of the more van like options seems to be the safest bet. The Toyota Verso isn't a bad car but there isn't much room in the rear.

There are also 7 seat SUVs to consider but reliability may be a factor there. The best of luck with your search - I had an FRV for 4 years and often did very long journeys with 6 up. It was our favourite 6 seater ?

Edited by Chrishunt on 06/05/2016 at 22:48

7 seater opinions - Metropolis.

How about a Chrysler Grand Voyager?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160318209...p

7 seater opinions - oldtoffee

I have a 5 year old Hyundai Santa Fe diesel auto 7 seater and would recommend it. The third row of seats aren't great for adults but my almost teenage grandchildren fit in them fine. A five year old one would be in your budget and most will have a full Hyundai service history and 5 years of having any problems sorted under warranty. The auto is the one to go for with some problems on the manual. Kia Sorrento is the same car with a 7 year warranty.

Edited by oldtoffee on 08/05/2016 at 09:05

7 seater opinions - daveyK_UK

some excellent deals available on fiat doblo's with the family pack that makes it in to a 7 seater.

can be picked up for £11500 brand new if you shop around.