Ford Focus hatchback - Ford Focus Mk2 - Rear wheel bearing replacement - dac1

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice here.

I have a Ford Focus Mk2 and the MOT has failed due to both rear wheel bearings having gone/failed. I am awaiting a price on the repair for parts and labour.

1) On this model car it is the entire hub that will need replacing (what I've been told) - is this correct?

2) How much would one expect to pay for both rear wheel bearing/hubs to be replaced?

3) The car has only done 55k miles. I have placed a very heavy load in my car boot/rear seat/front seat with approx 16 bags of sand/gravel/cement bags a month ago. I made this 10 mile heavy trip twice. So a total 20 miles with this heavy load of 16 heavy bags. Do you think this will have caused the bearings to fail - it is a bit coincidence that both go at the same time and less than a month after driving with those heavy loads?

4) Out of interest what would happen if they weren't replaced (although they have to be to pass the MOT)?

You speedy replies will be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

Ford Focus hatchback - Ford Focus Mk2 - Rear wheel bearing replacement - RobJP

No idea on 1 and 2

3. Unlikely The heavy weight sits on the suspension. So only if you have grossly overloaded the car - to an extent where it was dangerous to drive - would that be the cause.

4. If they weren't replaced the car would sit on your driveway, SORNed, until you sold or scrapped it.

Ford Focus hatchback - Ford Focus Mk2 - Rear wheel bearing replacement - slkfanboy

Thats correct, requires the hub replacing which should cost less than £40 each. Labour 1hour may be 2hours if bolts hard to get off. I say less than £200 all in.

It's a common issue in that age of car.

Ford Focus hatchback - Ford Focus Mk2 - Rear wheel bearing replacement - John F

3. Unlikely The heavy weight sits on the suspension.

3. Possible. The heavy weight and the weight of the suspension are borne by the bearings. The only weight that isn't supported by the bearing is the weight of the wheel.

16 x 25kg = 4 big fat persons which should not ruin the wheel bearings over such a short distance. What do you mean by 'failure'? An MoT finding of 'excessive roughness' or play is to a certain extent subjective. At worst a wheel could lock up but I think the noise would be unbearable (sorry!) long before that happened.

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Yes it will be the equivalent of a 17st driver (me), a 14st front passenger, 16st laying across the back seat, and two 34st curled up in the boot. That was the weight spread. Only two lots of 12 miles with that load and the car was weighed down very low. Didn't look good but drove ok. It was about two weeks later the noise started to happen. It's just too coincedental in my eyes.

It has failed the MOT due to the wheel bearings. I cannot remember the wording the guy used but he spun the wheels and said they sounded gone and needed replacing to pass an MOT. Yes the rear of the car does sound noisey when going over 50mph but isn't unbareable.

I am half thinking of taking it to another MOT tester to see if they check and/or pass the car if they do not spot the bearings gone. That was the reason why I was asking about what would happen (i.e. dangerous) if I didn't have them replaced.

I am being quoted £240 by one place and £230+VAT by another for the repare.

Not sure what to do. Abit skint at the moment (like all).

Edited by dac1 on 29/03/2016 at 18:36

Ford Focus hatchback - Ford Focus Mk2 - Rear wheel bearing replacement - RobJP

Do bear in mind that, as all MOT garages are connected to the DVLA computer system, it will be immediately clear before a different garage starts to test the car, that it has failed an MOT, and what it has failed for.

Also bear in mind that you now KNOW that the car has a serious fault. Trying to get round it by seeing if another garage will pass it could well be viewed as against the terms of your insurance.

Which means if that an accident did take place, and the insurance company WILL be able to see the MOT failure on the record ... well, if they then inspect and find out the fault was caused by that, then you are in a whole world of trouble. Cancelled insurance policy, virtually impossible to get insurance in the future (or it costs you thousands, as you are viewed as a fraudster), the possibility of criminal prosecution ...

Do you really want to go down that route ?

No is the answer to that. I think I didn't know it was a serious fault, maybe just one of those annoying things that could be ignored and it's not dangerous.

Ok, so I will get it repaired - no problem. My questions now is, is £240-£250 a fair price or should I search further?
It seems the rear wheel bearing hub costs more than the front but prices range from £45-£90 (Kast - SNR). What a mechanic be buying at these prices or get the hubs even cheaper? Just don't know if its a good price based down in Anglia.

Thanks.

Ford Focus hatchback - Ford Focus Mk2 - Rear wheel bearing replacement - GilesW

My Focus Mk 2 is also developing noisy rear wheel bearings, and I am getting ready to replace them myself, encouraged by the relevant Heynes Owners Workshop Manual, which I suggest you buy.

It rates this a "2 spanner" job, i.e. suitable for a beginner with some experience - and of course the right tools, axle stands etc.

If you have not yet had the job done for you, and know someone reliable, they might help, and advise about or even lend the equipment you need.

Tools and DIY skills can save a lot of money. These days, tools are remarkably inexpensive.

If the noise doesn't bother you I would delay it as long as possible. It is amazing how only a tiny amount of surface deformity on the rollers and races can produce such a loud noise.

It is not serious - how often have you heard of a wheel completely seizing up or catching fire? When you change them you will probably need a magnifying glass to spot the difference between old and new, unless they were meganoisy. It seems you might not have a good relationship with your mechanic, who understandably wants as much work as he can get. In the old days, the interior of most cars was a cacophany of bearing and gear noise!

Ford Focus hatchback - Ford Focus Mk2 - Rear wheel bearing replacement - gordonbennet

I hate the modern cassette style wheel bearings, no adjustment possible no lubrication possible, once a bit worn thats it, kerching.

Even our artic trailer axles are like this now, one make of axle were getting through a ridiculous number of bearing kits, months not years.

They really don't make things like they used to, in some cases this is a good thing, in others not so good.