Second hand - Replacing my old Passat - boz1449
Hi looking to replace my old Passat for something slightly smaller.
I have a 10k budget will be only doing 60 miles a day .
Live out in the sticks road are rubbish .
Where to buy supermarket, private or auction?
Second hand - Replacing my old Passat - RobJP

What do you need the car to do ? Carry dogs, people ?

Without some idea, nobody can give any indication at all. Slightly smaller than a Passat covers a large range of the market.

Have a look at the 'advice' tab at the top of the page here. You'll find on that exactly what your rights are, depending on how you buy the car (car supermarket pretty good, auction and private sale virtually no rights).

Edited by RobJP on 27/12/2015 at 09:59

Second hand - Replacing my old Passat - John F

'only...60miles a day' is over 20,000 per annum - well above average. I would try to find a low mileage old Focus or Golf from a reputable dealer for such intensive use.

Second hand - Replacing my old Passat - Big John

Buying private very risky these days and personally I wouldn't buy from an auction

How about a nearly new Hyundai I30 or Kia Ceed that will come with the balance of a very long warranty. For example Motorpoint have some 2015 Hyundai I30's for just over 9k

Second hand - Replacing my old Passat - Big John

Further to that:-

I have had a 64mile round trip commute for the past 23 years running my own car so have bitter experience! Try to avoid anything with expensive tyres that don't last long (avoid very low profile and check the price of tyres before you buy). If you find a car with tyres at £250 / corner and they only last 10k miles that's £2k year if you do 20,000 miles a year!

With that sort of mileage - ignore the costs of road tax, as it is just about irrelevant!

I have had to run a bigger car as A) I'm 6ft 4" and B) my son is now taller than me! My last car was a 2003 Skoda Superb 1.9pd100 that I ran for 10 years (170k miles) and my latest car is a 2014 Skoda Superb 1.4tsi petrol (last of the model line so was V cheap - bought at 14months old) that I would like to run for about 8 years. Both of these cars have 205/55 R16 tyres (cheap & 35k miles /set) and are very comfortable (also a consideration with high mileage)

Edited by Big John on 27/12/2015 at 12:59

Second hand - Replacing my old Passat - Steveieb

If your Passat has the 1.9 PD engine then I would suggest keeping it. Just look at the number of taxis using this format both home and abroad as far as China !

Even thge later model which has problems with the injectors are being fixed free of charge by VW which costs them around £2k a car and you will get a free valet.

What other car can match this longevity with cars with the PD engine achieving 250 k miles under taxi conditions