Ford Fiesta Zetec. 2004 model. Petrol. 1.4. - New rear exhaust box fitted to my 2004 Ford Fiesta - otter valley

Hello,

I have a standard 3 door Ford Fiesta 2004 Model. Petrol 1.4 car. Zetec type. Miliage is: 111858.

2 days ago I started hearing quick fire banging noises that indicated to me the the exhaust had gone. Ford Assist came out (the AA), who said the engine was okay and that it appeared to be the exhaust. I took the car to my regular Ford Service agents not far from where I live in Nottingham.

Fords diagnosed a corroded rear back box and replaced same.

They replaced: Rear Back Box. Supplying also: Muffler Assy - Rear. with Insulator, clamp - hose .

Driving the car away late this afternoon I noticed a grumbling or growling noise from the rear of the car. Which I did not get with the original back box that had been on the car - like the rest of the exhaust system, since purchase in 2005. The cars engine sounds quite normal.

QUESTION PLEASE:

Is this sound normal for a replacement back box, given that it is apparantly the largest part of a three part exhaust system on the car. No such noises were heard before with the original exhaust system.

History of car:

Please note that absolutely no modications have ever been made, as far as I am aware, to the car exhaust, the cars engine or anything else.

This is a bog standard original version of the car as registed in 2004. I have owned it since 2005 and the previous owners were a partially disabled couple (middle aged) living in Harrogate and who, by all accounts kept the car in their garage most of the time. (They went off and bought a car under the Motobility scheme I gather).

Conclusion:

I dare say I can get used to the noise of the new back box. (My car being due its full service in Mid February 2016).

Note also that a Health Check was done on the whole of the car today and the results were all, Green Lit, over the basic essential areas that they checked whilst the car was in. No Amber or Red areas highlighted.

I await your advice please.

Thank you.

Brian.

Ford Fiesta Zetec. 2004 model. Petrol. 1.4. - New rear exhaust box fitted to my 2004 Ford Fiesta - elekie&a/c doctor

A new exhaust system will sound different to an old rusty/coked up system that has possibly been on the car from day one.Give it a few miles to bed in ,I am sure it will be ok.If not,take it back.Did the dealer fit genuine Ford parts??

Ford Fiesta Zetec. 2004 model. Petrol. 1.4. - New rear exhaust box fitted to my 2004 Ford Fiesta - otter valley

Thanks for the reply.

I took the car to a Ford dealer. Ford Sandiacre.

I was going to take it to a nearby exhaust place, but the AA (Ford Assistance) person made the point that the Ford dealer will offer genuine Ford parts.

The dealer had to order the part up on their system when I took it in on Monday. Came in Tuesday morning and they fitted it.

What do you think please?

Ford Fiesta Zetec. 2004 model. Petrol. 1.4. - New rear exhaust box fitted to my 2004 Ford Fiesta - 547HEW

Our 1.25 2006 MY Fiesta Zetec OE exhaust system was one piece from front flexy to rear of tailpipe. (this is to reduce production costs).

To fit a new rear box, the original exhaust pipe has to be cut in front of the old rear box.

The new (Service part) rear box is then slid over the remaining exhaust pipe, and clamped to it.

What can happen, and indeed did on our vehicle before we acquired it, is that the usual "professional" had cut the exhaust pipe short, thus straining the mount and causing premature failure.

I am wondering if the same has happened to yours and that growling sound is due to the box hitting something?

Thanks for the advice, I will try and get under their and take a look.

I am monitoring it for a few days and if it continues will definitely take it back for them to re check.

Ford Fiesta Zetec. 2004 model. Petrol. 1.4. - New rear exhaust box fitted to my 2004 Ford Fiesta - John F

Has it got a corrugated thin bendy aluminium heat shield between the exhaust box and the car body? They can make odd noises sometimes.

Hello sorry for the delay in reply.

Just to finish this string off, I took the car back to the service centre and they confirm that it is the right exhaust box fitted.

I also had them look at a bit of the aluminum heat shield that was loose near the exhaust box.

I was told that the noise came from a new exhaust box that did not have yet an inner lining or coating of exhaust soot. (The word 'soot' is my own).

That when this lining is created the noise dies down.

I will monitor it. Especially as long ago, like a lot of people, I have grown used to the bits and pieces of doggeral that garages come up with, when talking to customers who are about to pay the bill.

Regards.

Ford Fiesta Zetec. 2004 model. Petrol. 1.4. - New rear exhaust box fitted to my 2004 Ford Fiesta - jc2

When a muffler is made,the basalt wool in the muffler is put in in a thin shaped plastic bag-this it to protect the operator and his environment.This melts when it gets hot.The muffler quietens down as this melts and the basalt wool settles.

Ford Fiesta Zetec. 2004 model. Petrol. 1.4. - New rear exhaust box fitted to my 2004 Ford Fiesta - Bolt

Hello sorry for the delay in reply.

Just to finish this string off, I took the car back to the service centre and they confirm that it is the right exhaust box fitted.

I also had them look at a bit of the aluminum heat shield that was loose near the exhaust box.

I was told that the noise came from a new exhaust box that did not have yet an inner lining or coating of exhaust soot. (The word 'soot' is my own).

That when this lining is created the noise dies down.

I will monitor it. Especially as long ago, like a lot of people, I have grown used to the bits and pieces of doggeral that garages come up with, when talking to customers who are about to pay the bill.

Regards.

I would suggest you look on google for exhaust baffles, it will show you how the baffles work and prove the garage was correct(except the soot)

a new silencer always sounds different to an old one...you will get used to it.