I have received a large bill for damage at the end of a lease - where do I stand?

I have received a bill for £600 for damage found on a returned lease car returned after 42 months. Some of the damage stated on the invoice does not appear on the collection report, nor the condition report prepared by BCA prior to auction. I know the car has already been sold at auction, for a price which is £1000 higher than the estimate that price guides have for a car of average condition. None of the damage reported on the collection report was repaired prior to sale. Is the finance company permitted to charge me for repairs not carried out?

No. Demand an invoice from whoever repaired the damage on behalf of the finance company. As you write, if they did not have the damage repaired, if it was not itemised on the BCA condition report, and if the car achieved a high price at auction there is no justification for the charge and if the case went to Small Claims the judge would probably throw it out and penalise the leasing company.