Is my keyless entry car secure?

Is there a need for a crooklock on a new Land Rover Discovery Sport? My neighbour who has a Range Rover Velar is using one. I always thought the Land Rover security was pretty good but am using the keyless version for the first time.

Asked on 18 January 2018 by Avril Macdonald

To be safe, yes. I've left my car with a Disklok over the steering wheel and the proximity key locked away in a signal blocking box. Your primary defence is a 'Faraday Bag' (Amazon) for £10 - £20. That blocks the signal from the proximity key so it cannot be cloned and boosted, allowing a thief to steal the car. You can test it by approaching the car with the proximity key inside the Faraday bag. The proximity system should then be blocked.