I'm retired, but I do unpaid charity work - do insurers count this as business use?

Now that I am 68 years old and fully retired from paid employment, I undertake regular voluntary unpaid work for several Registered Charities. This involves driving to/from their premises and to/from their activities in various locations. Could you advise me what should be disclosed to my insurer, please?

Asked on 4 January 2018 by Billy Mac

Answered by Tim Kelly
Now this is a tricky one, and it depends on the insurer. Work is defined and as being "paid employment". The work you are carrying out comes under "social domestic and pleasure". Unfortunately, some insurer's make it up as they go along and have staff that have been incorrectly trained or not trained at all, and believe that you should be covered for "business" use.

Due to this, the advice I always give is to make it your insurer's problem. Ring them up , explain the situation and ask them. If they say anything other than the above, ask to speak to a senior manager and have them refer it the underwriters. If they stick to their guns and say you must be insured for personal business use along with commuting, then I suggest you insure it as such. Never give an insurer any opportunity to repudiate a claim or a policy.
Similar questions
I had a car accident in early June this year. I was led down the path of an accident management company and car hire. The management company have asked me to sign a Form of Authority so their solicitor...
I've been in France on holiday since 10 July 2017. On 15 August, I received an email from Admiral insurance saying they have been advised of a possible incident on 4 August involving my car, in which a...
I received a phone call this morning from a mobile number claiming to be from the Motor Insurance Bureau. They knew my name and asked if I or any members of my family had been involved in an accident in...

Ask Honest John

Value my car