Love it or loathe it? How do you feel about your car? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks
Ask a Question

Does my motorcycle qualify for the 40 year tax exemption?

My motorcycle was registered in February 1977, do I still have to pay road tax?

Asked on 6 December 2017 by graham dyson

Answered by Keith Moody
Currently, to qualify for historic vehicle exemption, you'll need to prove that your motorbike was built (not registered) before 1 January, 1977. If it was not built before this date, you'll need to wait until the exemption ticks over to vehicles built before 1 January, 1978 - this comes into effect on 1 April, 2018. Remember, your vehicle won't automatically become tax exempt - you'll need to fill in a form. You can find out more here: classics.honestjohn.co.uk/classic-car-road-tax/cla...e
Similar questions
I own a 1971 motorcycle. It was insured last year in April, taxed (historic vehicle class) from 1 June and MOT'd until August 2017. I never got around to using it at all last riding season, so it remained...
I, like many classic car enthusiasts, also care for classic motorcycles. I understand that 40 year old ones are not exempt from MoTs from May 20 2018, unlike the cars. Can you please advise on this, and...
My car was SORN'd in September 2015. It became eligible for Historic Vehicle Status in April 2016. I assumed DVSA would automatically update details and therefore no need for me to contact them prior to...

Ask Honest John

Value my car

Amount to borrow
Sorry. The minimum loan amount is £1000
To pay back over

My credit score

Best available rate 9.20%

Total repayment £9,304.93

Total cost of credit £1,804.93


60 monthly payments

Apply now

Representative example

The Representative APR is 13.2% (fixed) so if you borrow £7,500 over 4 years at a rate of 13.2% p.a (fixed) you will repay £199.21 per month and repay £9562.20 in total.