My Nissan Navara failed the MoT for a corroded chassis - what do I do?

My Nissan Navara failed the MoT due to a corroded chassis. Nissan said that they will not fix it because it's seven weeks past the warranty year. I purchased it new in 2005 and loads of Navara have this issue. What should I do?

Asked on 12 November 2017 by shaun Saunders

If it has a 12 year no penetrative corrosion warranty then you could argue that for the chassis to have penetrated to a dangerous extent seven weeks later then it must already have suffered penetrative corrosion during the 12 years. However, I have not heard of that working in a court case and it will depend on the wording of the corrosion warranty. Such things as missing an annual inspection at a Nissan dealer can void it entirely. Unless a manufacturer warrants a vehicle otherwise or the vehicle is subject to a safety recall, it is only liable for major faults for six years and this truck is so far past the six years that a judge might not rule in your favour.