The fan in my Volkswagen Golf keeps coming on - is this a symptom of the emissions fix?

This will be the third time I have taken my Volkswagen Golf to the garage that did the emissions fix. Is it normal for the fan to come on randomly (on short and long journeys)? I did get told the first time that if the fan comes on - come back. I'm getting a bit sick, my car was perfect before this.

This is because the DPF is having to work harder to regenerate the extra soot created by the fix (reducing NOx increases soot). However the fix is supposed to sort this out by a more complex injection cycle and it could be that your injectors are not responding to the new software.