Warranty company refuse to honour my warranty - what should I do?

I bought a car in April and it came with a third party warranty. Just over a month later it developed a fault and I claimed it under the warranty I had. The warranty company have refused the claim stating that it was a pre-existing fault using their chief engineers' opinion. I have proof from the main franchise dealer that the item was working perfectly after I purchased the car as it was with them for an update. The warranty company have tried various approaches of suggesting the fault is through wear and tear, not a covered component and even more recently because the fault was discovered so close to the warranty start date that it is unfair for them to pay for resolution. Is it worth simply getting the work done myself and then pursuing them for the costs through the courts?

Asked on 19 July 2017 by Vinba

Doesn't matter. The 'supplier' is liable for any fault that could have been present or developing on date of sale for six months from the date of sale unless he can prove that it definitely wasn't (which is impossible). Your claim is against the supplying dealer, not the warranty insurer, which is not liable for faults that could have been present or developing on date of sale. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/