What car should I buy for my retirement?

I have recently retired and am looking to change my six year old diesel Ford Focus for a long term replacement. I'm looking at a petrol engine as my estimated annual mileage will probably be around 7000. The users / passengers will usually just be my wife, myself and a cocker spaniel. No need for room for golf clubs or to have towing ability. My budget would be around £15000 and I 'm hoping to find something less than 2 years old. Reliability and reasonable running costs are important. Performance, comfort and handling would be great additions but I realise that I won't get "everything" for my budget. I have a hankering for an SUV but can't really justify it.

Asked on 8 June 2017 by Andrew Davies

You can get un unfancy new 4x4 SUV in the form of the Dacia Duster Laureate 1.2TCe 125 4WD for £15k and it's actually not bad at all: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/dacia/dacia-duster.../ Maybe a chance of a used Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 6-speed (much better than the PureTech 110 5-speed. Or, for fun, a Suzuki Swift 1.0T Boosterjet: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/suzuki/suzuki-swif.../