Cars constantly park on our residential road - how do we stop this happening?

Our road has motor vehicles restricted signs, with "except for access". What does this mean? Any normal person would assume this meant access to residences on the road. Not only are we plagued by cars still using the road as a rat run, but we are increasingly getting people parking up and wandering off for hours, and sometimes days, at a time. Both Police and Council agree that they're breaking the law, but refuse to do anything about. Is our only option to try to get signs for resident parking only, and how easy is this?

'Except for access' means except for access to the residences either by residents or their guests or delivery drivers or traders or workmen working on the properties. So you and the other residents need to get together to apply to the council for a residents parking zone. If it is a private road collectively owned by the residents, you can put up electronic gates at the ends. That will work out cheaper in the long run than employing a private parking enforcement company.