Buying a used Suzuki Grand Vitara - which model would you recommend?

I'm looking to buy a mid-size 4x4 which I will mostly drive in town. I like the look of the Suzuki Grand Vitara and have a budget of £5k-£10k. I would like to change the wheels, add spoilers and other cosmetics, so that needs to be included within the budget. It must also must have a spare wheel on the door.

Can you tell me:
1. Is 1.6 engine too weak for this car?
2. Is 2.0 engine good enough - any know faults with it ?
3. Can a spare wheel be retrofitted?

Asked on 22 November 2016 by Alan D.

All in here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/grand-vitara-.../ We don't have anything more than that, because it's where we store everything we know. To fit a spare wheel to a non spare wheel version would require a completely different door and hinges. Suzuki later reverted to a door mounted spare, but this was a space saver, not full size.