How do I become a part-time motor trader?

Just a few questions as l am quite keen on becoming a part time motor trader, hopefully you can help.

Q1 : Is it necessary to purchase Trade plates even though l will be purchasing minimal vehicles at a time.
Q2 : Do you really need to be registered as a sole trader or is it okay to trade using the PT Motor Trade Insurance.
Q3 : Can you kindly breakdown the key procedures when purchasing and selling vehicles (What needs to be done with the v5 ?

l would really appreciate clarity with the above questions.

Asked on 18 November 2016 by Zafee

Answered by Honest John
Without a Trade Licence you will not be able to legally move vehicles on the road unless you tax them individually. You have to have trade insurance, which will be restrictive. The V5C itself tells you what to do with V5Cs. If your turnover will be more than £83,000 a year you have to register for VAT and conform to VAT rules.
Dear Honest John,

Please help me choose my next car. I would like it to have:
    Select a few terms below
Similar questions
What's the best way of buying a used van to reduce the risk of buying something with known faults? I need a Luton van and I'm looking to spend £5000 - £10,000. Is leasing a van the best option?
My used car was advertised and sold to me as having metallic paint and climate control. Three months on, I've discover that it has neither. I took your advice and requested that the trader compensate me...
We saw a Volkswagen Scirocco for sale online. When we rang the mobile number, the seller said he sells his cars from his home address. I can't find any reviews or even any other cars that he might be selling....

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer