BMW 320i engine management light - what does it mean?

I own a 2010 BMW 320i. Recently, the engine management light has come on. Any idea what might be causing this?

Asked on 16 November 2016 by patg

Might simply be a disconnected immobiliser.
I have just bought a used (2005 model) Peugot 307 petrol and the engine management has come on. A warning that says "depollution system faulty" appears. Now the light has started flashing and the car is...
I have a petrol 2005 Renault Laguna 2.0, the engine runs like a dream but sometimes when you are driving along there will huge loss of power for a few miles meaning that I have to drop it down to lower...
I own a Fiat Punto Evo and the dashboard warning lights are on. It says 'Start Stop/Airbags Not Available' when starting the ignition. My local garage says it cannot identify the fault as its diagnostics...
Superb to drive. Great handling and steering. Upmarket image. Economical diesel engines culminating in amazingly efficient 320d Efficient Dynamics at 109g/km of CO2.