Do you think it is poor to have steering rack replacement at 65k miles?

Do you think it is poor to have steering rack replacement at 65k miles? Steering has always been poor and 'unconnected' on my BMW X3 since new. Constant correction is required. I believe this is common on cars with electric power steering. Could this be the cause of steering rack failure?

Asked on 24 October 2016 by Hugh Fortune

First report of this on an X3. I've never had a problem with the EPAS on one. Might be something to do with the wheel and tyre size you are running. Might be from holding the steering on full lock too often.