Buying a Ford Focus diesel with a PSA engine

I would like to buy a 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 diesel, but have read so many horror stories about the PSA 1.6 engine used in these. I've read that there are two versions of these engines, an 8v and a 16v. How would I know which version of this engine is in the car I like? Am I facing turbo replacement or engine trouble?

Asked on 2 October 2016 by Elura

The 8v version did not replace the 16v version until 2010, so effectively in the current shape Focus before it got its Aston Martin grille. The problems are all extremely well documented in www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar