Should I trade my Ford Fiesta for a used Audi A4?

I'd like to sell my Ford Fiesta (1.3L, petrol, manual, 2006, 55000 miles) and get an Audi A4 B6 (2.0L, petrol, automatic, 2001, 95000 miles). The main reasons are: (1) I'd like to switch to automatic transmission; (2) the A4 is from a friend who needs to sell it due to re-location. Both cars have regular service history. I drive mostly short trips in town & city. Do you think it's a good idea?

Asked on 4 July 2016 by Tony

That's swapping a cheap to fix 10 year old car for an expensive to fix 15 year old car. That sums it up, really. Fords are generally more reliable than Audis, not less reliable. Lots of little things go wrong with ageing German cars, usually electrics.