Dream car or Budget, which comes first? Tell us your thoughts | No thanks

Nissan Note air-conditioning problems

The air-conditioning on my 2013 Nissan Note requires gassing after 21,200 miles. The cost is £250 and I can only get this done at a Nissan dealership. I think the system fitted to this model is not fit for purpose. Can you advise me on the best course to take?

Asked on 28 May 2016 by Patrick Whitehouse

There seems to be a problem with the hyper-expensive R-1234a refrigerant that has been foisted on the car industry. Am now starting to get regular complaints of loss of gas after 2-3 years and similar costs to re-gas. A regas with R-134a could cost as little as £45. Also happens with Peugeot 308s and other new models. Likely to be the start of an industry-wide problem and probably a scandal because the switch to R-1234yf was heavily lobbied onto legislators.