What can be done to improve the ride quality/comfort of a car?

What can be done to improve the ride quality/comfort of a car? I own a four year old Hyundai ix20 with alloy wheels and 205/55/R16 tyres. The ride quality in my car is atrocious and it crashes and rolls around on even the slightest bit of bump. My previous car (2001 Ford Mondeo LX) used to cope with potholes and bumps a lot better than my current car, and Ford never made any such claim. So, can anything (technically) be done to improve the ride comfort of my car?

Asked on 17 March 2016 by MT

Fit Michelin Cross Climate tyres or other soft tyres.