Buying an automatic hatchback

I'm looking for a used Ford Focus-sized petrol (or petrol-hybrid) automatic. Can you assist with a short list that would take into consideration cost to purchase (max of say £13,000), cost of servicing/parts, build quality/reputation, and to achieve at least 50mpg - real world consumption. I expect to see some CVTs listed - should I embrace this technology?

Asked on 8 November 2015 by lesatwa5

Toyota Auris HSD or Toyota Prius or Toyota Yaris. That's it. The Honda Integra wasn't a great success. Expect 50 - 60mpg from the first tow; 60-70mpg from the Yaris. They have a type of epicyclic CVT, not like the CVT in a Jazz. Very easy to drive as long as you don't stamp on the accelerator and expect miracles.