Does the C-Class have a chain-cam engine?

I'm planning to buy a 2005 Mercedes-Benz C320 CDI from a friend for £3750. It's done 155,000 miles, has a full service history and is in a very good condition. Would you, please, confirm my thinking that it has a chain-cam engine?

He has told me about the car having temporarily gone into limp mode a few times over the six years that he's owned it. Any thoughts on this?

Asked on 9 February 2015 by James53

All Mercedes (including Smarts) are chain cam apart from the new ones with 1.5 litre Renault diesel engines. Change the oil frequently. Problem areas: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/c-clas...d