Does the BMW 5 Series suffer from air con problems?

I'm looking to buy a nearly new BMW 5 series (2014 plate) but after looking at the BMW forums there seems to be a problem with air con condensers. According to the forums there are hundreds on back order most are getting changed for a different design under warranty, but some people are getting charged due to BMW saying it's stone damage.

So far it's only been on 13 plates, but do you know if the later cars had the new design fitted as this is making me think twice before buying one.

I know that VW dealers are offering cheap a/c condenser guards for this reason. Have not heard of similar action by BMW, but do know it's a significant problem. Have been recommending aftermarket guards from www.zunsport.com/shop.asp You could make fitting of one by the BMW dealer a condition of purchase.