Is the Ford Ecoboost engine reliable?

I’m thinking of buying a 2013 Ford Focus EcoBoost 125. It looks great in theory, cheap tax, good mileage, decent power, no DPF repairs and nice extras. However, I’ve read about problems with small petrol engines in Volkswagens and SEATs. So, have Ford nailed it then? Is this really a great cheaper service option cost than a diesel model??

Asked on 24 May 2014 by gt1977

Test here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/ford/ford-fiesta-2.../

VAG seems to have solved its problems with 1.2 and 1.4TSI engines with the latest generation of EA211 belt cam 1.2 and 1.4TSIs, abandoning chain cams and 'twincharging', which were tried with the first generation and, combined with 'longlife' oil change regimes seen to have been the causes of the problems. Just don't expect ECDC fuel economy in real life. For what you are likely to get see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/