Estate, SUV or Kombi van?

After 14 excellent years our Skoda Octavia (1999) 1.9 TDi SLX estate, which has covered 175,000 miles and achieves between 40 and 50 mpg, it is starting to show its age.
We are two adults (I am two metres tall) and we are looking for a car or kombi van that we can use on a daily commute (dual carriageway/motorway) of 13 miles each way and on a once per week 80 mile round trip.

We regularly use the Octavia in full estate mode with seats down to carry work equipment, logs for a wood burner and tools for an allotment. We are also soon to purchase a dog.

During the summer we manage to fill the Octavia and still need more room for our camping/cycling/mountaineering gear. We love the economy and ease of driving of the Octavia's diesel. So we have been looking at Skoda Superb estate diesel and a Volkswagen Transporter Kombi (115 or 140 bhp), and we are completely confused by SUVs.

They may be more appropriate for our needs; but are well aware of the problems with new diesels. We would probably jump at a Transporter (and partially convert to a camper), but our sensible heads tell us we don't need such a large vehicle on a daily basis and it possibly offers less than adequate mpg.

We have £15K + low mileage Skoda Fabia SE, 85bhp, 2010 to trade in.

Asked on 3 March 2014 by jrlittle24

A Ford Tourneo Courier or Citroen Berlingo Multispace would probably be best.