Is this 2001 Ford Fiesta a good purchase for my granddaughter to learn to drive in?

I have the opportunity of purchasing a Ford Fiesta 1.4 with 44,000 on the clock. It's a 2001 and the vendor has owned it from new. The purchase would be for my granddaughter to learn to drive. Would this be a suitable and safe car for this purpose? What do you think might be a reasonable price to pay?

That will be the older rounded shape Fiesta modelled on the Peugeot 205, not the squarer shape that arrived the following year. They're fairly reliable, but can rust very badly in the areas of the fuel filler, in the sills and in the A-pillars, so check carefully. Pay no more than £750.