Could my Golf's stop-start system cause turbocharger damage by turning off the engine when hot?

The 'start-stop' system on my new Volkswagen Golf TSI is operating very smoothly and presumably contributing to its relatively good urban fuel consumption. However, I recall some discussion about the risk of turbocharger damage if an engine is switched off immediately following a high-speed run. Unless I over-ride the start-stop system will this situation occur, for example, at traffic lights on a motorway exit slip road? Should I be concerned about it? I also wonder if the life of the starter motor will be significantly shortened.

Asked on 6 July 2013 by RT, Kettering

Usually these systems have a temp sensor that prevents the stop/start stopping the engine if the turbo is too hot, if the ambient temperature is too low, if the DPF is regenerating and, of course, if there is not enough charge in the battery. I have yet to receive any reports of starter motor or starter ring failure on stop/starts.