Why is the climate control in my BMW 120i inadequate?

I bought a BMW 120i convertible with climate control. The 28 degrees centigrade max of the BMW is puny - no good at all for winter sun. Neither does it offer fresh air at face level. Are all climate control systems the same? Is there a 4-seat convertible that you can recommend with better climate control?

Asked on 27 April 2013 by MC, Braunston

Fresh air vents such as those in 'Aeroflow' Cortinas were exactly that. These days, outside air has to pass through a pollen filter before it reaches the cabin, so output is restricted. You're right, the climate control in the 120i is designed for a hatchback, not for a convertible that endurance masochists will drive top-down in the winter. And you need to be careful because folding a soft-top at less than 0C could crack it in the folds.