Damaged a rental Transit van and was debited for the damage - is this correct?

I recently I hired a Transit and damaged the nearside when I hit a post. The hire company said it would get two estimates for the damage or I could get the van repaired myself if I was able to get a more competitive quote. However, they did not come back to me and they have now debited my credit card with the sum of £661.47 without even advising me beforehand. What options do I have, if any?

Asked on 17 March 2012 by JD, Ferndown

None. You damaged the van. If you had got it fixed you would have had to pay the hire charge for the van while it was off the road damaged and being fixed, as well as the repair cost.