Young driver: Looking for an economical commuter car

I am a young, male (aged 26) first time driver looking to get a new car for the commute to work (a daily 200 mile round trip, between 40-50k miles a year). I am looking to get something as economical as possible without breaking the bank and having to pay ridiculously high amounts of insurance. I have lots of different questions, but it all boils down to what is the most economical car (in terms of fuel consumption, insurance and servicing costs).

I am thinking either the Skoda Citigo Greentech version (2012) or the Kia Rio 1.1 CRDi (2011) because of the low price, good fuel consumption figures and the low insurance group (I have been getting really bad insurance quotes for cars with bigger engines).

So I have three questions really:

1) Which of these two cars do you think is my best bet? Or is there something else you could recommend? (I wouldn't mind getting something secondhand, but see question 2)
2) I think buying new is probably the best bet too, considering the amount of mileage I will be doing?
3) After reading your forums, it seems that in this case, Diesel might be worth it, would you agree?

Asked on 25 November 2012 by kylegbrown

The KIA Rio 1.1 CRDI.

But you can get a Nissan Pixo or a Suzuki Alto base model for £6,000 on offer. The £4k saving on the price of a Citigo or Rio will take a lot of economising to make up.