Buying a second hand family car with seven seats - what would you recommend?

We need to replace our 2003 Renault Grand Espace with a 7 seat family car for two adults and four children. Our annual mileage is about 6000 and we do quite a lot of short journies, so a petrol engine would probably be preferable to avoid problems with particulate filters or similar.

Other things on our wish list are flexible seating within the car including easy access to 3rd row of seats, good reliability, reasonable servicing and repair costs and, most importantly, low depreciation.

We are happy to consider any make or models but would prefer it to be less than four years old. Our budget is around £10,000. Please can you suggest what options you would feel are most appropriate for us?

Asked on 15 August 2012 by Mr and Mrs T

Toyota Verso 1.8i Valvematic, if it's big enough.