Peugeot 508 or VW Passat?

I have two options: new 508 SW 2.0 HDi 163 automatic or new Passat 2.0 TDi estate DSG/

Do you have any thoughts as to which is the better choice?

It seems as though the Peugeot is a more fun car to drive, and the looks are attractive.

However the Passat has been around for a long time and so is "proven".

I've always liked Peugeots, however I have heard that the electrics can be problematic.

I would like to run the car for 5 years and am looking for trouble-free motoring for that length of time at least.

Asked on 6 August 2012 by nimbus

The current Passat is vastly better than it's 2005-2011 predecessor that had a long list of problems and gets just two stars from owners in our review. DSGs can be trouble, though. The 508 163 has a torque converter auto and a more reliable engine on past performance. But I'd wait until next year's Mondeo.