Problematic part-ex

I have seen a car that I like and was offered £1,300 as a part ex for my car.

I told him the spec over the phone and then went to view the car the same day. I then went back the day after and put a deposit down on £200.

He has since rang me back to ask for MOT details and confirm the mileage, however he said he must have misheard the mileage that was said to him as he says he will no longer give me £1300 for it, only £600 for it.

As I have paid a deposit and had him sign under a list of agreed prices and things that need fixing, can he back out of the deal?

Asked on 27 April 2011 by kerry1986

Answered by Honest John
This would have to be decided in the Small Claims Court, but that process could take 6 months. If he won't undo the deal and give you your deposit back, then you could go through with it then sue him for the £700 extra the car has cost you over and above the original deal, providing, of course, you can prove the original deal.

Honest John recommends carwow – find and buy your perfect car, in just a few clicks

Dear Honest John,

Please help me choose my next car. I would like it to have:
    Select a few terms below
Similar questions
I made a verbal agreement with my local VW dealer to purchase a used Polo with mats and Autoglym included for free in the negotiation. He offered me £400 for my X reg Ford Fiesta which I told him had dodgy...
I had a very good offer from a trader for my car now even if not buying another just yet. Do you think trade in prices will plunge in the next few weeks? Also, should one be able to buy in a few weeks,...
I have a new Mazda CX-5 from stock due for part exchange with a 4 year old Skoda Superb in early January. I've read your 'Best for 2017' and saw new improved CX-5 due mid 2017. The garage are happy to...

Ask Honest John

Value my car