Problematic part-ex

I have seen a car that I like and was offered £1,300 as a part ex for my car.

I told him the spec over the phone and then went to view the car the same day. I then went back the day after and put a deposit down on £200.

He has since rang me back to ask for MOT details and confirm the mileage, however he said he must have misheard the mileage that was said to him as he says he will no longer give me £1300 for it, only £600 for it.

As I have paid a deposit and had him sign under a list of agreed prices and things that need fixing, can he back out of the deal?

Asked on 27 April 2011 by kerry1986

This would have to be decided in the Small Claims Court, but that process could take 6 months. If he won't undo the deal and give you your deposit back, then you could go through with it then sue him for the £700 extra the car has cost you over and above the original deal, providing, of course, you can prove the original deal.