Transfer of registration

My son has negotiated to buy a used car from a dealer who acquired it with a cherished number.

Having had ownership transferred to them, they now have a V5 with the cherished number, but their attitude is that they will sell the car to my son with that plate on it, and for him to transfer the number to them and reregister with the original number.

The car has been inspected by the RAC, with only minor paint chips and a scuffed wheel, and has a clear HPI report. Should my son proceed on this basis, or is the dealer being idle?

Asked on 19 April 2011 by Ross Thompson

Yes. More straightforward the way the dealer proposes.

HJ