Can you recommend a small car with high ground clearance?

My son is learning to drive and needs a small, first car. We live half a mile down an unmade track which is full of holes and ruts so a Ford KA, Nissan Micro etc. are unsuitable. Can you recommend a suitable small, first car, secondhand, with good ground clearance for less than £5,000?

Asked on 14 March 2022 by Sarah Filsell

If you can find one, a Volkswagen Polo Dune could be a good option. It's essentially a standard Polo with a lifted suspension and chunkier looks, but it sold in small numbers and there are only a handful on the used market today. Alternatively, take a look at a small crossover SUV like the Suzuki Vitara. A Vitara should be a very reliable choice that'll be cheap to run, but it'll be worth searching for a few insurance quotes first.