I'm looking for a car with a forgiving ride and decent ground clearance?

I'm looking for a car with a forgiving ride and decent ground clearance for travelling over parkland. Four wheel drive is not essential and as I don't do more than 8000 miles a year I'd like a petrol with decent economy. It needs to have enough room to get two spaniels in. Any suggestions?

Asked on 20 September 2018 by Salmon12

As you say, I suspect a petrol would be better suited to the miles you cover, although a diesel might work if you do the occasional motorway run to clear the DPF. A Honda CR-V would be an excellent choice as it's reliable and practical. Alternatively, take a look at the Suzuki Vitara. The 1.6 petrol engine is very robust and efficien and there'll be plenty of room for your spaniels. It rides well, too.