Can you help me decide what reliable, used crossover to buy?

I would like to buy a used crossover. My budget is £14,000. I'm likely to keep it for the next 10 years, so reliability is important. My annual mileage is 12,000: a mixture of local trips and longer motorway journeys. I have no preference as to make or model. My only requirements are that the vehicle must have a raised driving position, enough legroom to seat 4 adults comfortably, a CD player and a handbrake. I look forward to your thoughts on what would suit me best. Many thanks for your help.

Asked on 12 May 2021 by Alan Limb

We'd recommend a Kia Sportage. It's a very comfortable and practical crossover SUV that meets most of your requirements – apart from a CD player! It does have Bluetooth connectivity as well as Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, so streaming music from your phone will be very easy. Look for one with the punchy 1.6 T-GDi petrol engine. If the CD player is a sticking point, take a look at the Honda CR-V. You'll get a slightly older example for your money but it's an extremely reliable and versatile SUV that's available with a CD player and a traditional handbrake.