Can I retrofit a petrol engine into my diesel car to be compliant with the ULEZ?

I'm happy to keep my Freelander 2 TD4 until the end of days. Is there any option, anywhere, of an engine swap to petrol and could it be legally re-registered to cover ULEZ? I daren't even ask about insurance.

Asked on 7 May 2021 by Micklethwaiteboy

Answered by Dan Powell
I think it would be cheaper and quicker to simply sell the car and replace it with a petrol Freelander 2. The conversion costs would be huge and your insurance premiums would go up as it'll be considered a major modification. There is also no guarantee that, after spending £1000s on the conversion, TfL would recognise the changes and provide an exemption from the ULEZ.
Similar questions
I own a five year old Renault Scenic with 36,000 miles on the clock. I've owned it from new and had it fully serviced by the same dealer. It has covered 36,000 miles. A few weeks ago the car, with no prior...
The engine in my Fiat Doblo van has broken down and the local garage that I trust has told me it needs replacing. I will do this with a reconditioned unit. Obviously the replacement unit will have a different...
I brought Jaguar XE secondhand from a dealer in December 2019. After three months, the car suddenly stopped while driving and failed to start. A local garage diagnosed that the engine and turbo need to...
Related models
Bigger than original Freelander. 2.2-litre belt cam diesel. Incredibly good off-road. Robust interior. More fuel efficient 2WD model from 2011 with no rear diff to fail.

Value my car