I want to treat myself to a flashy, economical car for 10k. What do you suggest?

I’m turning 50 this year and I figured I finally deserve a treat. I’ve decided to trade in (or scrap) my beloved, well-aged and slightly banged up 1.0-litre Nissan note. Please don’t judge me but now I just want a flashy car to cause some car envy. But it’s got to be gentle on the pocket. I don’t know much about cars other than driving it. I didn’t drive for many years (save the planet and cycle, that was me) but work needs must. I do enjoy driving and I’ve never had an accident, but I have a lack of confidence when it comes to parking, nighttime driving or in bad weather. I use the car for city commuting and some long-distance travel. I have in mind a budget of £10,000 for a used car. I’m hoping to get some suggestions on a car that might suit me. Preferably with low mileage and not over 10 years old.

Asked on 2 February 2021 by Cottonsocks

No judgement here! The challenge will be finding a flashy car that won't cost a lot to run. An Audi A3 could be a good choice. It shares its mechanicals with a Volkswagen Golf, so shouldn't cost the earth, and it looks very classy. As a left-field alternative, consider a Mazda CX-3. It's a stylish crossover SUV that'll be easy to drive in the city. Stick a private plate on it and it's sure to impress the neighbours, too. As an aside, consider some driver training to boost your confidence. The Institute of Advanced Motorists provides courses that aren't expensive and very worthwhile.