Can I drive a SORN'd car on trade plates?

A car was gifted to me in a will, but I don't want it so it's being sold when acquired. Can I drive it on trade plates when uninsured and SORN'd, please?

Asked on 10 November 2020 by David Jenkins

Answered by Georgia Petrie
If you're a motor trader, you can drive a SORN'd vehicle on trade plates if: it’s only temporarily in your possession (until you sell it), it’s being kept at your business premises, the registered keeper has notified DVLA that the vehicle has been sold or transferred to you. More details here:

If you have further questions, you'll need to speak to DVLA. There might be some grey area as you don't say whether you've notified the DVLA already that the car is in your ownership.
Similar questions
I am hoping to apply for trade plates and, if necessary, an operating license. My question is which forms do I need, and where do I get them ?
I want to start a vehicle distribution business and have several garages and auctions willing to use my services to deliver and collect their cars. I submitted an application to Carlisle DVLA for trade...
I've seen a car I like with a dealer, however, the MoT expired earlier this month. I've raised this with the dealer who has said they will put a year's MoT on it once it has sold, but that I can test drive...

Value my car