There's a faulty part on my new car, should I reject it?

My two-week-old Audi Q3 has a start-stop system fault with a message appearing in the dash. Upon diagnosis, the dealer says the alternator needs to be replaced and this part is on back-order. It will take two weeks to get the part and the car is safe to drive until then. It appears the car is a mild hybrid and relies heavily on this part. Should I reject the car as it is less than a month old or accept the fix, please?

Asked on 24 September 2020 by Matthew K

The 2015 Consumer Rights Act gives you the theoretical right to reject car in the first 30 days if a fault is found. However, this may be a lengthy process and you will be without the car while the rejection is processed: www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-cons...s

However, if you are otherwise happy with the car, I would make a complaint and ask for some form of recourse from the dealer for the inconvenience caused. They may be willing to give you a partial discount or free servicing once they become aware of how unhappy you are with the fact that your expensive premium car is failing to live up to expectation.