Are diesels a definite no for city driving?

I'm considering getting a secondhand BMW 3 or 5 Series but the vast majority of my driving is in the city and I rarely do over 20 miles per day. There are some great deals on diesel cars but should I avoid them due to DFP issues? I don't mind taking it for a blast down the motorway once in a while but does that work?

Asked on 30 May 2020 by Michael Burns

The feedback we get from low-mileage diesel drivers is overwhelmingly negative. Lots of DPF and EGR problems, all caused by the fact the vehicle seldom reaches its optimum operating temperature. I would advise buying a petrol, hybrid or electric vehicle. A diesel isn't designed for the usage you have described.